1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wax remover

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by khedspeth, Mar 15, 2008.

1. I prematurely used carnuaba wax on the bass i just put a tung oil finish on. Premature being, the finish wasn't smooth enough and I have wax down in the grain that has turned white that i can't get out. is there something i can use to disolve and remove the wax? thanks for the help

Kevin

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Wax and grease remover should do the trick, you can buy it at autobody/paint stores or maybe your local Autozone or Advance auto. Use a tooth brush to help get into the pores. Just make sure the throw the brush away :D

3. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I waxed some candle sconces I made earlier this year and the wax turned white in some end grain. The teacher told me to use some mineral oil and it worked fine. It doesn't remove the wax, but the white goes away. It's probably only better for little spots instead of a whole bass though.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Naphtha will do the job well and is compatible with the tung oil finish below. Flood the body and allow the naphtha to remain on the surface for a few minutes. Wipe with a clean, dry rag. Terry cloth is a good choice for this because the nap has a tendency to drag the wax residue out of the grain. It may be necessary to repeat this exercise. If the grain is really loaded a brush with stiff, non abrasive bristles, like a toothbrush, can be employed to move the wax out of the pores. Let the finish dry for 24 hours and begin the tung oil again.

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Heat. Warm up with a heat gun wiping with a clean rag area all the time. Do not rerub an area with a dirty rag or you will just rub it in. Wipe in one direction only.

Hope that helps.

6. thanks for all the responses. luckily for me it was only a small area on the back of the bass so i'll give the suggestions a try. thanks again.

kevin

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Naptha or pint thinner will dissolve wax. It works for me. It won't harm tung oil.

I wouldn't use heat. it might just cause the wax to penetrate deeper and through the tung oil.