Way Huge Smalls!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 254 stringer, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
  2. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Awesome!

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Size is often a matter of clever circuit board design. Glad to see Way Huge is getting into the “small is beautiful” mindset.

Smaller boards and boxes are also less expensive to use. So it’s a win for Way Huge too.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    BrentSimons likes this.
  4. So what is scraficed generally when companies make pedals smaller? Does anybody know? Or can certain pedals be made smaller without sacrificing sound? Personally anything smaller than a small MXR enclosure size doesn’t have extra appeal for me for size. Will these way huge pedals sound as good or the same as their larger counterparts? I’m not generally crazy about EHX stuff but I do love the green Russian muff reissue that’s in a mini enclosure for an EHX muff. Honestly it’s probably the best fuzz I’ve bought yet and before I liked my Zvex. Third on the list EHX deluxe bass muff that’s more than twice the size of my preferred fuzz pedals. In general most iconic and undeniably great pedals aren’t in micro enclosures. But maybe they just need some time. Ditto looper is the only micro pedal I’ve ever loved personally. So I guess I’m just asking that same old cliche question so many have asked before. Does size matter? Or is it more about the frequency of your wave than it’s length? Jokes aside anybody with knowledge of this subject please enlighten me.

5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    From my perspective, this gives them a much larger chance of selling me something.

If I worked for the company, my reaction to the Marketing guy asking me to design smaller pedals would be "DUH!!!"

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nothing really. A smaller circuit board is less expensive to use once the initial design is completed and tested. They can make hand assembly more difficult. But that’s about it. Truth is, virtually any circuit can be reduced to a single chip if need be. So it’s not so much a question of how small can we make something. It’s more a question of how small it makes sense for us to make something.

For example, the actual integrated circuit doing the work inside a chip is tiny. They’re wafer thin. And most measure a quarter inch square or less.

EF788B4F-FC8F-4CE0-BD18-C004E9E693E4.jpeg

The little epoxy bug case with pins that houses it is mainly there to provide protection and make it big enough so that we can do something with it without resorting to magnifying goggles and micro tools. Although in some cases (like a CPU chip) it’s also there to help dissipate heat.

So how small can we make a circuit? Basically as small as we want to make it.

theunknowndude and knumbskull like this.
  7. Interested to see if they revised the Blue Hippo. The reissue had some problems but it sounds great in the right setting.

8. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    youre-killin-me-smalls-gif-13.gif

BrentSimons and LSMFT6 like this.
  9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    They should be called Biggie Smalls.

10. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Here’s another picture sorry it’s blurry I had to zoom in. These things appear to be slightly smaller than a standard MXR pedal.
    26884361-CE77-4B40-9019-0FBB50B1AA33.jpeg

11. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Bremen
    I always had a soft spot for big pedals...
    :cool:

matante, zapped777 and kakulino like this.
  12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Me too! I actually like these less than the originals due to size.

kakulino likes this.
  13. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    What problems did the reissue have? Mine sounds great, I haven’t had any problems or noticed any shortcomings with similar simple choruses.

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Cool!

If they have downsized versions of the Pork Loin and Green Rhino I'll grab them for sure.

15. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Got the hippo small today. Ok the obvious it’s small, I added pics next to the MkII and a MXR and Boss pedal. Ok it sounds very similar to the MkII, I really like the MkII, but I think the small may sound a little better. The small sounds a little brighter and less compressed. They are not so much different that they sound like different pedals but there is some improvement IMO.
    I was going to get the Aqua puss at the same time but they have been back ordered.
    EBFDAF80-4CFD-490D-A503-19D9F9C70E68.jpeg 29AEB2C7-2E77-4213-858F-36D27163A4C8.jpeg 48388438-FF86-48EC-BCF7-C61F0F493A4F.jpeg

16. intrentnet7

intrentnet7

Mar 26, 2018
    Anyone know why the Smalls Russian Pickle is labeled mkIII? Where was mkII?

17. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Most likely II ended up as an unreleased prototype like the green rhino mk III.
    0AF205FC-2EA6-4334-8F13-BB50C11E8B28.jpeg

18. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Very good news!

19. intrentnet7

intrentnet7

Mar 26, 2018
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. thanks.

20. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    Could be counting the swollen pickle revisions as well, with the russian being third.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021