WBO 2022: Löwenbäss

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RichterScale, Dec 21, 2021.

1. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    KIMG2426.JPG KIMG2421.JPG
    The only things missing from the pic are strings and a jack. Otherwise, that's all of it. The plan is to build the entire bass from those 2 boards. Wenge & maple. Just 2 woods, a single pickup, a volume and tone.
    The shape is inspired by the Marleaux Diva, as well as the full length fingerboard. But this one will have frets.
    This is a rough estimation with MS paint of what I'm shooting for
    1-5-2.jpg
    I also want to somehow incorporate a gold lion head ring I used to wear two lifetimes ago. It's been sitting in an old tin with some coins and trinkets I've collected over the years and since I'll never wear it again, I thought I'd give it a permanent home in an instrument.
    I s'pose that would qualify for the rebirth/renewal theme, but this build will actually be a whole new experience and way of doing things for me. At least as far as personal hobby projects go. It's my first scratch build of a bass and it will be the first time that I'm not trying to be frugal/goofy and building something from junk or partially from repurposed bits & pieces. I'm also looking to keep this in focus, keep all the steps in order and stick to the plan. If I can pull that off, it will truly be a rebirth/renewal and just about a miracle.
    I just checked out the other build threads and see that everyone gave much better details.
    so,
    -34" scale
    -4 string
    -Gotoh resolites
    -24 frets
    -stainless frets with zero fret
    -aluminum nut and string anchors
    -Turner Wal style pickup with series/parallel switch (via @slowburnaz)
    -Jtex distiller & Q switch (via @ctmullins)
    -5 piece W-m-W-m-W through neck
    -chambered wenge body wing cores with maple tops and backs
    -wenge never ending fingerboard
    -I can't think of anything else at the moment
    -oh, possible wood pup cover
    -and wood knobs

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. Mmmm... wenge

AudioTaper and RichterScale like this.
  3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Wow that wenge is eye-catching. And I really like that pickup. Looks very familiar... wouldn't you agree @slowburnaz ?

Bent77, slowburnaz and RichterScale like this.
  4. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Shhhh.
    Super secret prototype.

Beej likes this.
  5. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    This looks like fun!

RichterScale and Beej like this.
  6. slowburnaz

slowburnaz Commercial User

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Owner, Turner Pickups
    Why yes... yes, that does.

RichterScale and Beej like this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Love that body!

RichterScale likes this.
  8. slowburnaz

slowburnaz Commercial User

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Owner, Turner Pickups
    Not gonna lie... I kinda can't wait to see and (hopefully?) hear this! :hyper:

RichterScale and TerribleTim68 like this.
  9. I'm mostly just here for the non-stop derails that will inevitably take place. :roflmao:

10. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    One idea that's been tumbling around in my head (sounds like loose change and a shoe in a clothes dryer) is to learn a few licks on the little 4 string guitar that I'm about done with. I picked up a little Behringer USB interface a while back. If I can learn something on the guitar by the time the bass is done, I thought it would be fun to try recording both of them. Maybe like a dueling banjos kinda thing. But not that actual song. That's way too hard.

11. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    unnamed (1).jpg
    squirrel-53735905.jpg

12. :wideyed:
    You gonna stash a few nuts in there for winter to hold you over until the "Rebirth" season of Spring?

Level5wizard and instrumentalist like this.
  13. His nuts have been stashed for a long time. :roflmao:

Level5wizard and S-Bigbottom like this.
  14. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Don't you worry about my nuts.
    They're nice 'n safe. In my wife's purse.

15. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Approved!

Cropped_Image_20211222_153401.png

16. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    So, here's the immediate future plan:
    Next week M, T, W, there's no teachers or students at work and those are times when we schedule more involved repairs/projects. I'm going to spend tonight through the weekend, finishing up the CBG, finalizing the design details/dimensions of the bass and making templates, etc.
    Some time between Mon & Wed, I'll bring the boards to work and set up the band saw with my new resaw blade and do all my resaw cuts. I can do everything else at home.
    Before I really dig in though, I need to sit down and write out a detailed order of operations for the long term plan, that I can refer to every time I get distracted or my brain starts tumbling around like a clothes dryer.

17. I see you changed the compulsory text in a subtle way.

Mickey666 and RichterScale like this.
  18. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    As soon as I'm done with all the obligatory visitations and gift exchanges, I can get back at it.
    Happy winter solstice everyone.
    Here's to longer days and the arrival of spring,.....in another 3+ months :confused:
    images (14)~2.jpeg

19. Flying B

Flying B

Apr 29, 2018
    So the fretboard just carries on to the end of the bass after the frets stop? Is it flush with the body or there's a raised centre section like a thunderbird?

20. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005

Mickey666, rickster4003 and Bent77 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022