Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weak Glue for Dry/Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Should one request a maker to use weak glue when building a new instrument that is going to a very cold and dry area?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No, one shouldn't.

3. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks Nick, would you build an instrument any differently if it were to go to a severe weather region?

4. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    BTW, I was not being arrogant as to want to tell a professional what to do, I might have given that impression.
    The person that is going to make the instrument is a part-timer with talent, but not a huge amount of experience. We are taking taking some of the decisions together.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I know some makers, as Nick has told me, do not produce instruments in the cold/dry winter months. I think this may pertain to your situation.

Also, if the wood is properly aged, and the bass is well designed, you shouldn't have any major troubles assuming care is taken. On the other hand, I know first hand that a climate changes drastically between winter & summer is a nightmare with regards to basses.

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    No. Request a roundback, no external rib linings, made of extremely dry wood and assembled in the winter. Swelling is much less of a problem than shrinkage with a new bass.

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks Arnold

8. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I didn't tell you that. Building/restoring flatbacks is best kept to the drier months, not June, July, August.

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I must be mistaken as to what you told me. I believe we were discussing Shen production.