Wear and tear, the double edge sword (axe?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Punkbeard, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Punkbeard

Punkbeard

Feb 20, 2017
    Morning all, hope everyone is having a decent Sunday so far...

So, I was doing my usual weekly to fortnightly deep clean on my 2012 USA fender jazz this morning and noticed its really starting to pick up a fair few minor scratches and a couple of minor dings now, it's to be expected from an instrument that gets played daily both at home and the practice room but at what point does one emotionally let go of that mint condition baby and let it become the time served work horse it yearns to be?.

I've got kids and it feels like the same thing, you try and wrap them in cotton wool but it's inevitable that at some point they get hurt and grow as a result.

I envisioned when I bought my jazz that it was going to be kept mint forever but I'm starting to realise that this is virtually impossible, does one let go of the dream?

Discuss...

Nephilymbass and El-Bob like this.
  2. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    They are meant to be played. Playing them ensures wear and tear. Nothing to discuss really. Just like your kids, they “age”. Some more than others. ;):thumbsup:

One of my most beloved is arguably beat to hell. Good memories that one.

MonetBass, TinIndian, SJan3 and 6 others like this.
  3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    And “deep cleaning”, really? :laugh: It’s not a bathroom! Yes, let go brother. All will be ok.:thumbsup:

4. Punkbeard

Punkbeard

Feb 20, 2017
    Aye yeah you're absolutely right, tbh I should have said discuss and post your stories haha.
    I play with a pick mostly over the bridge pick up so some of the scratches are my pick hitting the body and missing the pickguard and a ding near the control plate where I bent down to turn my pedal on and the bass hit the amp lol.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Just like the Velveteen Rabbit, someday your bass will simply become “real.”

6. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Some people pay extra for dings and scratches they didn't even put on the bass. If they're honest dings, they're like scars, crooked road maps of your life.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  7. LOL there is no deep cleaning allowed. You put a good set of strings on it, and play it hard, and grind that funk deep into it. You bash and scar it it freely without care. You give it the occasional wipe with your dirty T shirt. The more wear they acquire, the better they look. Nothing worse looking than a shiny new Fender bass. And nothing looks better, when beat up and worn, than a Fender bass.

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Pro tip: If you've got s neck pocket gap, try to get some Doritos crumbs in there. Adds extra funk to the tone.

Trouztrouz, J_Bass, DaDo625 and 17 others like this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Entropy Wins. Every Time. If you like to keep your bass shiny, learn some refinishing techniques, a hobby in itself. An oil finish bass is a lot more forgiving and easier to refinish if you like natural wood.

10. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm like that for the first year or so...but after a while, I stop worrying as much. I still take care of them, wipe them down and keep them in the case or on a good stand. However, I'm a player not a collector, I gig fairly regularly so they will get nicks and dings no matter how careful.....but they are MY nicks and dings:)

11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    I think you try to maintain it like anything left in your care, but do not allow the signs of use to cause sadness. I really only have one painted bass. It has a chip of paint missing from the side. I have no idea how it happened. I've thought about painting over it or something. It hasn't affected the sounds. The chip in the paint hasn't changed yet. But remember your bass guitar is impermanent. No matter how well you maintain it, one day it will no longer exist as a bass. It will end up either rotted or as ash. When you die, someone very may well put it in a landfill.

12. Very subjective topic. I say play your bass, enjoy it, love it, and keep it clean, always perfectly set up, and presentable. This allows you to keep it for 60 years, or sell it easily tomorrow. No shame in a deep cleaning routine.

EatS1stBassist and Dudaronamous like this.
  13. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Listen, if you want to play the Boomstick, you gotta get some funk on it. At various times I’ve used my bass as a: battering ram, surfboard, battle axe and traffic cone. (I did play occasionally.) There are show ponies and work horses. Deep down which has more Mojo.

JGbassman and NathOBX like this.
  14. asands

asands

Feb 1, 2011
    Troy Missouri
    The end of your post is pretty depressing.... and I like it!

15. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I haven't felt this way with a bass in a while, I'm buying used now. Saves me many worries, including this one.

But, it's like with any new gadget, usually the first scar is the toughest to get over... then you start calling it "charm" or "mojo" or whatever...

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you play the bass, it won't look new. But if you take care of it, unless the finish is nitro, there is no reason it has to look relied. I've gigged my Lull for almost 15 years. You can feel a few Nick's in the clear coat, but other than that, it looks new.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  17. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie

Aug 21, 2013
    A racehorse has got to run. :)

I recently bought an Alembic from the original owner, who had custom ordered it new in 1985. It was dead-mint as described, even still had the protective wax paper over the brass covers, not a scratch to be found on it... because he couldn't bring himself to play it out at gigs and risk a ding. 32 years in a case.

I did the same thing in 2015... ordered a custom fretless Alembic, but I can't imagine not playing it out at gigs. Of course I'm careful -extremely so- but these were never meant to sit in a case.

Take care of them, wipe down, deep clean, whatever you need to, but just remember to enjoy them in between.

:bassist:

2017-11-28 18.02.12.jpg

18. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    There is loving ware and tear which is what is happening to your bass, and then there is neglect and outright abuse which is definitely not happening to your bass.

el_Bajo_Verde and EatS1stBassist like this.
  19. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Lest we forget...

1.jpg

20. It's no different than having a new car. That first door ding or paint chip drives you nuts. 50k miles later you're happy if it hasn't been in a collision.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022