Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Web promotion

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kserg, Aug 19, 2004.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Well, I think this is kind of on topic.

I am helping this band out right now (bunch of friends of my) with bunch of stuff. One question I have, I want the website I just finished for them to get visits and so people could actually find it over net with out someone local telling them about the band or hearing them first. Are there sites besides search engines people go-to find out about bands (local bands I guess) to see their site/sample mp3s/lyrics/naked pictures.

I guess I am looking for any page like that but band is located in San Jose and mainly play around 2 hour radios :D

Thanks folks :D

PS... if repeat I am sorry, I couldn’t find anything related:/

Cheers

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Get the URL of the site mentioned as much as possible. Stick it on your flyers, promote it between songs, include it in your signature file for message boards and email (and encourage other people you know to do the same). Submit your site to Google and make sure it's active enough to get noticed (I find having a Blog on the front page is an easy way to keep things up to date).

Also, do a search for the names of other local bands in a similar style. See where they're getting mentioned, apart from their own sites, and figure out how to plug into the same lines.

Wulf

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh yeah... that’s all done, they get invited to shows all the time... I was just wondering if there is anything on web aside from that... likes sites with listing of bands that people go to find out local scene. Like place people go so they could find different bands on the net :/

Cheers

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Go and talk to people on the local scene ;) There's nothing like a bit of market research to discover what actually led people to come to a particular gig. From what I can see, personal networking still seems to be much more effective than the virtual kind (last night's gig with the 'jones was packed - one person was definitely there because of the email list I maintain but most of the other 150+ were work colleagues, friends and friends of friends of people in the band.

Wulf

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah, that’s true but I figure even few is worth the effort... I helped them with show today (rode, lame, I know :D ) decent amount of people showed up :D . It was a lot of fun, especially because other band that are friends of ours plays too. So besides good shows that they played it was just fun hanging out...

Defiantly talking to people gets more... but it still a try :) I mean right now I am messing around with their site... its not even on google :D

Thanks

Cheers

6. Giving out stickers at shows (with the web address on them) would be a great way to get the word out. If you don't have time or money for stickers you can print out mini fliers and hand them out instead. Something real simple will do. The band logo, a tagline, and the web url. Print four or so on a page so they fit in a pocket easily and then photocopy a bunch (make sure you cut up the copies, a full page would defeat the purpose :)). Leave a stack by the door and give one to anyone that talks to you after the show. They're essentially free and people will check the site out if they liked the show.

7. There might be a San Jose indie scene website or something. I know there's a Quebec punk scene site that we were on at one point (we played a show with a punk band) and it was a pretty cool looking site with all the local punk shows and message boards. Also, get other bands to link to yours on their site somewhere.