Weight issue . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Think this is about the best place to put this (if not, i appologise, feel free to move it)

Im having weight problems with one of my basses, the thing is just waaaaay too light, whats the best way to add weight to a bass, best suggestion ive had soo far is to strap dumbells to it :rolleyes:

(cheers microbass ;) )

- Will
  2. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Most people would consider that a blessing.
  3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    A different set of tuners would add a lot of mass, but possibly some neck dive. A bigger, more massive bridge would also help. Other than that, you'll probably have to resort to putting small weights or pieces of metal in the control cavity/pickup cavities and such. Have fun and be grateful. My back is jealous.
  4. I think this is the first time I've ever heard this.

Sorry I have no more advice than what was already listed here, except to buy a warwick.:D
    Pretty heavy, but I LOVE mine.
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Sit in a dark room practicing for 24 hours/day. Do this for a month, eating only beef boullion and Wonder bread. Your muscles will atrophy enough that you will no longer be able to lift your Ampeg, and the flyweight bass will feel like it's 50 lbs :D

Seriously, just play the bass until it's comfortable. After a while it'll feel more natural.
  6. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    If you're not worried about how it looks, I've heard that you can drill holes in the back of the bass, and glue in steel stock. I think you'd want to position them in line with your body with the bass hanging naturally, so as not to throw off the balance.

I dunno' though, 'cause I've never tried it.
  7. I agree... I've found most basses I like the tone of to be very uncomfortable so consider yourself lucky!
  8. Cheers for the advice guys, think i'll probably have to get used to playing it, might stick a BAII or something on, was planning on replacing the bridge, its an old low level Aria Pro 2 Magna series bass im modding up, and let me tell you, its a hell of alot lighter than my BTB406 and ATK400, the basses i use most frequently, and i like the weight of them, but, they do weight about double what the aria wieghs :p
  9. Why do you want it to be heavier? I have an idea. I'll cut out part of my Stingray, which weighs more than I'd like, and you can glue it onto your bass. Then we'll both be happier!

Is it just an issue of feel?
  10. It moves too much with me, it bounces about alot, it doesnt have that apparent stability of using a heavier bass

Ive got an idea, ill give you my aria, and you give me your stingray, not just parts, and that'll be better ;)
  11. if you're jumping around on stage and you're set on this instrument, just get used to it as mentioned. Guitarists do this all the time and their instruments way significantly less than ours and are much more sensative and unforgiving to sloppy technique.
  12. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    do what billy sheehan does and screw a big chunk of brass on the headstock :bassist:
  13. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's called a "Fat Finger" and it's used to add mass to the headstock, and increase sustain. I've never used one, so I wouldn't know whether or not it works. Plus, I'd be afraid of neck dive.
  14. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    The Fatfinger would only give you neck dive on a Hofner or similar fly-weight instrument. The thing is tiny, and just adds a bit of mass where it's needed for a little more sustain. I don't think it would fix mohawk's problem.

I frequently switch between bass and guitar, and the weight/feel etc. was only an issue for the first few months I started doing so. After a while, they both felt normal.
  15. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    I had a shop drill a hole in the body of one of my basses, insert the 11.5 ounce version of this Jim Dunlop Slide, cover and fill the hole, paint over it. Looks just as good as before and balances much better.
  16. My guitarists LP weighs alot more than this Aria, trust me!

Im guessing i'll just get used to it, i think alot of the extra movement is probably because im using schaller straplocks, and that means theres less friction there

Shall just get used to it, could always add weights by drilling holes, but, im really too lazy :smug:

cheers guys :)