1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird EMG issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MonkeyBass, Nov 6, 2013.

1. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I just got a custom made 6-String bass with EMG BQS electronics.

It was distorting on the B-String so I decided to add another battery to bring the Voltage up to 18V. When I got the battery installed the whole thing quit working. Fresh batteries, clean soldering... That's not the problem.

I took the nuts off the front of the potentiometers to take a look and it started working! Finally I traced it to the weirdest thing. When I screwed the treble control onto the bass the signal went away. When I loosened it it came back.

But, now, on top of that issue, even when there is a signal the bass makes a farting sound if you play the B-String too hard.

Really strange. I kind of feel like I should get a whole new set of electronics because something is obviously very wrong.

Any ideas? Anyone ever have this happen?

2. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Feb 20, 2013
    Are the pickups too high? EMG's are naturally hot pickups, so if they are too close to the strings they are bound to distort.

3. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    No, it sounds like an electronics issue. Hard to explain.

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I don't know about the farting B string, but this problem is probably caused by something contacting the shielding inside the control cavity and shorting the signal to ground. Remove the treble control and slip a piece of paper or cardstock underneath, then re-install the treble control.

5. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I actually tried this with electrical tape. It works until you tighten the nut again. Then it cuts out and/or farts out.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is the EMG system the new quick connect or the older solder type? Sounds like funky wiring to me. Or bad pots.

7. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Quick connect. Yeah, I'm thinking it's bad connectors or something too. Brand new though.

I contacted EMG about it. No word though yet but they're probably not open. Since I didn't buy them though (the builder did) I wonder if they're under warranty.

8. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I hope not for your sake but although I love EMG preamps and pickups I have fried several BQC preamps installing kill switches or 2 batteries. They are not protected at all it seems. Just one extra ground or a touch of anything while batteries are plugged in and toast city. I have installed over 50 preamps of all kinds and configurations and the EMG preamps are just sensitive to any ground loop or voltage change it seems.

9. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Really? Ok, see this is what I think happened!! I think I fried the board putting in the extra battery. I guess on the next one I'll make sure I do everything VERY carefully.

10. Means2nEnd

First one or two times I did it EMG replaced them and were cool about it. I did it again 2 more times and knowing it was something I did I just ate it. SUX

11. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    So is the trick to wire it all up and then, and ONLY then, put the batteries in?

12. Means2nEnd

yup...always

13. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Crap, I think that's where I went wrong.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

But you said it works when you move the treble knob around? Sounds more like a short somewhere. Could be a bad pot.

15. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, but it also farts out. I think it's just trashed. I ordered a new one. $127 later...

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I did that to my first BQC. I didn't assemble it with the battery, but I accidentally touched two boards together while adjusting them to fit the cavity with the battery installed. Ya, definitely make the battery the very last step next time ;)