Weird post gig interactions

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Verb the Noun, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    I was an aspiring musician back in the day, and have recently jumped back into the game. One odd thing that has consistently happened to me is weird interactions with people after gigs. I must be a magnet for it despite being 6'2" and rocking an unintentional resting biotch face. Sober people leave me alone, drunk people are somehow drawn to me.

Back in the day my most memorable stories were stuff like having bands trying to recruit me (this happened several times) literally in front of my band mates. Getting hit on in front of my former wife but ONLY when she was there, no play when I was solo. Having people telling me what type of cover songs we should be playing (we were an original band) was common. The situations varied but it became a running joke and my band mates would watch to see who accosted me after each show.

Fast forward 18 years and I am back in a band. Joined up with a talented group of local guys in SD called Murder of Five, an original hard rock outfit in my age range.They were very selective, and it felt like I was participating in a season of the bachelor. The callback rehearsals went on for a couple months, but I finally got the job. 3 weeks after being officially named MoF's bass player we got a call asking if we could fill a cancellation slot at the House of Blues. My first show in 18 years was in front of 400ish people a week later. Weeeeeeee!

As expected... I picked up right where I left off with the weird interactions. Mid gig I noticed a guy I did not recognize standing in the crowd on my side of the stage staring laser beams at me. He was not bobbing in time to the music, just staring at me. Band finishes set, next band is playing and I'm in crowd watching them. I feel a tap on my shoulder... It's the dude.

Weird guy "Hey man, you killed it. I've seen you guys play a bunch of times and you are always great."
    Me "Thanks man, but this is my first show with these guys."
    Weird guy "Yea, I know."

Entire time he never smiled, never showed any emotion. After his "yea, I know" he turns and fades into the crowd.

He wasn't the only one who approached me after the show that gave off weird vibes, but his was the most dramatic interaction. After the gig, band mates and I are talking and I bring it up. Roaring laughter from the guys. He approached several band mates at the bar, not sure if it was before or after he talked to me, and tried to buy them a round of shots. Told them he had seen the Craigslist add and that HE was their new bass player. He even asked when rehearsal was for him to show them how much better than me he was. When they asked him why he hadn't auditioned if he was so damn good, he had some lame excuse so they started clowning him.

I also found out that the band's original bass player, and a couple of the guys who I auditioned against were there that night. Those were some of the other weird interactions, but those were nothing like Mr stalker guy.

So.... I cant be the only bass player to have weird crap like this happen. How many of you have played in front of pissed off guys who didn't get the job? What other weird post show shenanigans have been pointed at you?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I haven't had this one specifically, but did (earlier this year) have the guy I replaced sitting out there, then conversing with the rest of the band. Seems he wants his old job back.

I did get a job once over three other bassists at a cattle call. Three of us became pretty good friends because of it, one of them and I becoming each other's sub when needed.

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    I remember playing a biker club on a hot summer night. The Leader of the Pack got out on the dance floor for some rock anthem like Brown Sugar. When the tune was over he was right up near the stage. He wiped his shaved head of sweat and flicked it at me from 3feet away.

What was I going to do? just turned and wiped my face too.

We work largely at night, where alcohol is served. Welcome to the zoo.

Bobro, Admiral Akbar, Mr_Moo and 10 others like this.
  4. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Dirty looks and jealousy are part of the gig unfortunately. Some folks rely on ego instead of rationality.

I've had countless encounters of dirty looks due to a good performance, being mocked out of jealousy... but the guys who do it are the ones who typically aren't in decent bands, or a band at all.

I brush it off and move on, because who has time for that? I've got my own show to run.

Bobro, Groove Doctor, Artman and 3 others like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    More than once, typical drunk guy with stars in his eyes: "You're the best band I ever heard man". (Clearly we weren't the best band he ever heard.) :facepalm:

Drunk guy in dive bar: "I want to buy your hat". (He kept at it all night, including yelling it at me while we were playing.) :meh:

Being seduced by a groupie after a gig and finding out in the middle of things that she went for me because the married drummer turned her down. :p

Spectrum, Jimmy4string, Bobro and 9 others like this.
  6. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    I might have posted this in another thread but forgive me, it's my favorite. I got a nipple print on my bass one crazy biker bar gig. It stayed there for a good while, I was careful not to smudge the smudge. She fell over a monitor after the imprint and cracked her head pretty good...

Bobro, Mr_Moo, Grumry and 9 others like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have several recurring interactions.

1) Ex wives/girlfriends. I'll be on stage and right in front of me will be my wife, my ex girlfriend amd my ex wife.... standing in a triangle having a chat.

2) The drunk guy who says to me "The rest if these guys are OK, but you..... YOU are gonna be BIG!" Some of them say it to every band member. Some don't.

3) Advice guy. "Been involved with bands for decades". Can't wait to tell me what we're doing wrong. Doesn't understand that we're not trying to get "to the next level".

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Sorry can't help you, @Verb the Noun. It was always supermodels and Courvoisier for me! :cool:

Artman, The_Lucek, Inky13 and 3 others like this.
  9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I was trying to decipher your humorous gif when I realized it was just an ad.

ECF052A4-34FF-4620-8598-346FF3CD013C.jpeg

Jimmy4string, Bobro, Mr_Moo and 9 others like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You’re more patient than me. I wouldn’t go through that for anything less than a signed national touring act.

RSBBass, Artman, Chris76 and 3 others like this.
  11. How about when you`re all done for the night, cords wrapped up, half the stuff is by the door, drunk chick still with," Come on maann, one more F`n song...you got the talent"

Josh Kneisel, Bobro, Mr_Moo and 7 others like this.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Saturday night, sub gig in a club that was so packed people were dancing in the band's space (no stage, tight setup). We just finished the last song and a guy around 5'6" decides he's going to climb over me to get to the drummer to shake his hand. I almost lost my balance, standing there holding my bass, heels up against my cab. The woman who was with him smiled at me and said he was old and excited. And I'm thinking "... and about to get knocked tf out".
    :meh:

Spectrum, mcnach, Mr_Moo and 3 others like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:
    i don't think i've ever experienced that, specifically. but i was 'friends' with other bass players and we might see each other play with bands we all played for at one time or another --- but it was fun stuff/times --- nothing weird.

:laugh: good for you!

:laugh: ( that actually sounds dangerous.)

Verb the Noun and two fingers like this.
  14. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Many years ago...

Did an audition for a classic rock three piece. Aced the audition, and was invited to come hear the band play their last show with the current bassist. "But don't say anything..."

Well, yeah, because they hadn't told the old bassist he was out yet.

And, of course, who comes over to chat with Mrs 57 and me right after the first set? Exactly.

Turns out the old bassist is this 20something kid who's partially blind, real nice guy, and he's asking us how we heard about the band, telling us how good the band is and how the band is the best thing he has going for him, etc, etc.

He joined us for a pizza and beer and we chatted some more. I liked the kid more and more. Driving home, Mrs 57 and I had the same thoughts about the night.

Called the BL the next day and turned down the gig.

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    LOL!

instrumentlevel likes this.
  16. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've had the usual weird encounters that everyone else experiences, but one in particular stayed with me and still makes me laugh several years later.

Circa 1996-97 I was at a bar gig, and afterwards, near closing time, the bartender (good looking, 22 years old, etc.,) asked me if I wanted to go home with her. Well, hell yeah!, of course I did!

We got to her place and she made me breakfast (scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, coffee).

And that was it. Nothing else happened. She walked me to the door and said "goodnight". Turns out she just felt like making breakfast for someone..... greensmilies-025.gif

17. Had a guy stalking my (first) wife one night at a cover band gig at a little dive about 100 miles north of where I was living then. I'd seen him at a lot of our gigs in that area, but my wife came to that one, and he just got creepy with her. Turned out, his name was also Paul Smith, and he was using that as his justification for trying to bang my wife. After she told me what he was doing, I started watching him closer. On last break, he followed us outside, still pleading his case. When I told him that was enough and he needed to back off, he kept at it anyway. So, I did what anyone else would do. I grabbed him and slammed him up against the side of the building, and told him if I ever saw him even in the same room with her again, I'd rip his head off and sh!t down his neck. He left her alone after that, and I never saw him again.

Hindsight being what it is, maybe I should have let him have her. :roflmao:

18. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I was on a cruise ship with my parents a couple of years ago, there was a live band playing country and rock tunes. During a break in their set, I wanted to go and talk to the bass player. Then I saw him put his bass down, grab a book and run off the stage. I decided it was best to leave him alone. I know how he felt.

mcnach, Chris76, grinx and 5 others like this.
  19. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Two girls (early 20s max, way too young for us, and we are all unavailable) asked me after a gig if my two bandmates (way better looking than me) usually pick-up girls after the shows... They looked very unhappy when I told them they has wifes and don't cheat.

They never minded asked about me, but I'm only the bass player (I would have refused anyway)

Jimmy4string, Bobro, Mr_Moo and 6 others like this.
  20. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    If it weren't for this if never get laid.... Could be worse

Bobro, Verb the Noun and McG like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021