Weird Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Girrouard, Apr 15, 2004.

1. I do not know how to adjust this truss rod. I have asked people about it, but no one seems to know. At first glance it may appear to be stripped, but it is not. There is no hole for an allen key. I have attached an image.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before? I am totally stumped.
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Looks like the adjustment nut has been rounded off, possibly from someone using the wrong size wrench.?

Please fill out your profile so we know who we are talking to.

Harrell S
  3. The adjustment wrench you need is available at but you will need to know the correct size for your instrument. In your case, even the correct size wrench may not work due to the wear on the adjustment nut. If you get lucky, the wear will be mostly at the end of the nut and there will be enough good metal further down so that the wrench will hold. I had a similar problem with my Hamer CruiseBass but I was lucky...the wear on the adjustment nut was only at the end and the correct wrench worked just fine. This wear/damage was caused by somebody using a wrench that was slightly too large and it slipped causing the sharp corners on the adjustment nut to become rounded.
  4. Uhh... there is no nut. So no, it is not worn down or stripped. I wish it were that simple.

I do not think it has been touched before by any mortal being. I may be wrong, but I guesstimate that this is how it came.

It is threaded on the end of it, although it is too blurry to really make out on the picture. My only guess is that a nut was on it, but was loosened off. But then I wonder if thats even possible to do? The neck is not warped in any way that is not normal.

I will fill out my profile later on tonight, I did not have time earlier. My apologies, I did not expect anyone would check it.

Thank you for the link to It seems to be a very good website that is now in my favourites.
  5. looks like a worn nut. It is probably a combination of your picture and my monitor.
  6. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
  7. in the pic it looks like there's some kind of filler blocking the allen key hole.
    my Precision Plus trussrod nut had filler in it for some bizarre reason that prevented the allen key from entering fully. i chipped the filler out carefully with a small screwdriver.