Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, Goodbye...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, May 28, 2005.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    ...for awhile, anyway. And not yet, even.

This morning I start my vacation. In a couple of days (when everyone is out of school and finished with their work) my daughter and I are driving down to the Kerrville Folk Festival, and my wife will join us a couple of days later.

I take longer to get my RDA of the fest. Melanie would be approaching LD50 before I got ready to leave if she came down with us.

So I am going to have a week and a half of living in a portable nylon hut on a South Texas hillside, getting sunburnt, playing 12-string acoustic guitar, listening to music, and just sort of 'being.'

I can't wait.

But my tent doesn't have web access, so I won't be here much for a little while.

2. Have a good vacation time!! Being in 'nature' is a great way to unwind. I actually am going to be at the folk festival tomorrow here in St.Catharines, great fun these things are!

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Have a good one...:D do what i wouldnt do:)

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm going to need more detail on what you wouldn't do, then. :eyebrow:

5. Have a nice retreat, Bard. Damn I wish I could take one too!

Let us know how much more at peace you are when you return ;)

6. Have fun.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    For all you know i wouldnt do everything... so you can do anything you want:) have fun:)

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Have fun!

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Still not gone :rolleyes: :rollno: :scowl: :bawl:

It's lookin' like I won't leave till Monday now. Man I hate waiting. Kerrville is an awesome festival. I'll be surrounded by some of the strangest people I ever see, and yet somehow, they're all amazing. It's a truly cool place.

'It can be this way, always.'

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Have fun out there! Too bad about the tent's web connection, I got a 8 man that has wireless.......jk.

I'm leaving for Colorado myself on Tuesday, going to Colorado Springs, then to Fort Collins, then up to Steamboat Springs for some camping. Should be lots of fun! I get to see my Pop too, haven't seen him in about 5 months.

Oog :)

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Dude, I'd love to do something like that. Have a great time! :D

12. That's AWESOME!

Be sure to bust out a wicked shred solo on that 12er... or not, because sweep picking is really hard to do on a twelve string.

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Enjoy the festival!

Wish I was coming with you, :(

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Sweeping is harder than you think...I'm a fingerpicker. I can rake, but I can't sweep. And raking sounds better on a six, mostly.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Okay!

My truckapotamus is loaded. As soon as I can get my daughter in it, go get some batteries (for flashlights and stuff) and gas up... I ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoutahere!

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

It was awesomeness its ownself. I am burned to a little crisp. But it was well worth it. And I have discovered the possibly coolest nearly-an-instrument in the world. I am told it's called a 'cabletub' and that there is a website with that name. It is a washtub bass that can actually be played like an upright. I saw two versions, a two-string and a three-string. I got to play the two-string fairly extensively. It's amazing how much of a verification that is of the idea that bass players have their own philosophy of playing. The owner said as soon as I touched it I was better than he was. I asked and he is mainly a guitar player. We agreed that the reason I made it do more interesting thisngs than he did is that I'm mainly a bass player.

Can we have a big cheer for the obvious?!? YAAAAAAAAAYYYY!

17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Amen brother. :D

Welcome back! :)

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

welcome back !

got pictures ?
    we got a lot of rain here in S.A. , did you see any heavy weather ?

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Oh man, did I see some weather?!?!

Living in a tent when a thunderstorm comes through is just way more excitement than I care for.

My daughter about had a spaz. She had not been out in a flexible container/structure during a storm before, and was moderately traumatized by it. I'm not sure I helped when I told her to ignore the lightning and try to go back to sleep. I think the closest lightning strike was about fifty or a hundred yards away, based on the instantaneous BOOM!!! But we couldn't find any evidence of a strilke the next day.

Man, could that tent dance around us, though. And when it slowed down and became a regular rainstorm it bothered me more because the tent was less watertight than I would have preferred.

And I still haven't developed my pictures from last year.

If you need a laugh, when we were trying to leave town, we went to the local Verizon store, because my wife had broken my charger. WHile we were there, she asked if she could charge her phone there while we ran our last errands before leaving town. They said "Sure, we close at 6:00." We came back at 5:40, but they were locked up and we had to call them to mail her her phone.

20. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    This sounds familiar. Did you do a trip like this last year? I have no idea why I remember that.

Anyway, glad you're back safe and sound :D