1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well known, Female Bassists?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Nov 30, 2012.

1. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    Yes, Kim Deal plays the bass in The Pixies. In The Breeders she is the lead singer and plays guitar.
    For me, she is one of the coolest musicians in the world. I admire her. Actually I don't really care what she plays. She just rocks :bassist:

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have been trading emails with Carol Kaye for a couple of weeks and have her cell phone number. For those of you who do not know who she is, check out her website. She is basically the female James Jamerson. I have been playing for 34 years and am honored that Carol has agreed to train me in areas that I consider myself to be weak.

I will be starting after the holidays.

3. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

Jun 20, 2011
    Jeez, D'Arcy is mentioned here but not Melissa Auf der Mar? My goodness

4. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

Jun 20, 2011

wow... learning from carol kaye. jesus that's... wow!

5. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Tina Weymouth didn't play bass in studio. Pretty sure, wouldn't swear by it

6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound

She is very down to earth, very friendly and despite receiving as many as 200 messages per day, she responds to emails within 24 to 48 hours. I have been playing for 34 years and am looking forward to learning from one of the masters. Some of it will be self taught and some will be via email, phone and internet. I plan on starting after the holidays. I will start a thread and let everyone know how I am doing.

By the way, Carol has a website where you can buy lessons on CD, DVD, and even do one on one Skype lessons.

http://www.carolkaye.com/

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Julie Slick. Whammo.

8. Top Pro in the world . . . ?!?

Now that's funny!!!

9. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They left off Lydia Kaboesj.

11. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Of all the women mentioned here, this is the only from which I made sure to legitimately own a CD/MP3s.

12. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    I seem to remember that she's credited with most or all the bass parts on the sleeve notes for Little Creatures and More Songs About... But on Speaking In Tongues, she's credited as playing upright, with David Byrne playing the bass guitar parts.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Man, this has grown much further than I had expected. I had no idea there were so many females in the bass scene.

Thanks everyone for the names, can't wait to start looking these ladies up.

14. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

May 5, 2009
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

My neighbor Jennifer Condos surely belongs on that list. She tours all the time and was playing with Don Henley for a while. Amazing player, great person.

And +100 on Lydia - she is so cool! I saw her play in Frankfurt and it was a delight. Check out the video of her playing Marcus Miller's "Free". Very nice.

16. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    yes...Julie Slick ..after seeing a concert of her with Adrian Belew Power Trio. a couple years back..inspired me to pick the bass back up with conviction after a 20 yr lull.

also there's

Angeline Saris - Zepperella, Narada Michael Walden Band
    Mary Huff - Southern Culture on the Skids
    Lianna Davies - Pettybone
    Amy Humphery - Clatter

just to name a few more.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

;)

18. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    No mention of the UK's Yolanda Charles, who has worked with Paul Weller & Robbie Williams.

She did a great clinic at the London Bass Guitar Show last year, and did a short set with a band on the Sunday:

Enjoy :)

19. Astreaux

Astreaux

Aug 31, 2012
    Krutonia
    Tal Wilkenfeld for a young, smooth player who will be around for a while...

Nice duet here:

20. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I've watched quite a few of Tal's videos and I really like her, contrary to this idea that she doesn't deserve to be where she's at, I think she does really well, and she's enjoyable to watch and listen to.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021