1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well known, Female Bassists?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Nov 30, 2012.

1. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    +1 on the time period between 69 and mid 70's
    I saw Fanny in summer '69 and let me say, I was for lack of a better word, dumbfounded. I mean, female rock musicians! unheard of.
    There were female singers galore and in fact, Fanny opened for Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane(which was awesome to see Jack Casady from 4 feet away just nailing his bass lines. The main reason I was inspired to buy a bass) but it was hard to wrap me head around an entire band of female musicians. They put on a great show. It was a different time, everybody smoked cigarettes, Drugs were cool, DUI was just a $100 fine and there was no AIDS or herpes, except women didn't play rock, only sang.

2. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    This lady's my favourite. Now, if she were to offer lessons...

3. davkane

davkane

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    Michael Steele is more from the pop end of the 80's... She played with the Bangles and the Runaways. I always enjoyed her playing.

4. maggie8181 from Poland. A fabulous Hofner player of McCartney's basslines.

5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
  6. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Ida Neilsen aka BassIda aka Ida Funkhouser is one of the baddest slap bassists out. She's all over youtube promoting her album and TC Electronics gear.

thunesBARROW likes this.
  7. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Nik West. Saw her at the Gerald Veasley Bass Boot Camp last year.
    Divinity Roxx. Hip Hop. Worked with Beyonce.

8. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    Michelle Rangel Go Betty Go

9. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    +1 Rebecca Johnson is great.

10. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    Misa from Band-Maid

11. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    Aina Yamouchi from Silent Siren. Not famous in the USA, but she has her own signature bass in Japan.

Silent Siren is a new wave power pop 4 piece female band. While I can't understand the lyrics, the singing, songwriting and playing are top notch. I absolutely love their 2015 self titled album.

12. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

The wiki page didn’t include Rhonda Smith.
    I wasn’t familiar with her until I saw her play with Jeff Beck in 2017. She’s got chops!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021