1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well, my band's dead.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Sonic, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

It sucks. :scowl:

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Sorry that it sucks, pal.:atoz:

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Everyone goes through this. Hopefully you learned some songs and meet some people. Call them up and reconect.

As bad as it may sound try Craigs.

And remember the joke about the bassist takes goes to his first lesson. He calls and cancels the second one because he had a gig he had to play.

Bass player are in demand.

4. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Sorry to hear that. I've been in the same position a heap of times and it's not a pleasant feeling.

It's true that bass players are in demand, so on the bright side - you can probably find another band with relative ease.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Chin up.... for now is the time FOR THE WOOD SHED!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

If you haven't learned to read sheet, or play samba, or get dynamics down to a fine art....

My point is you can some out of this a better bassist. If you are so good you can't work on, and improve an area or two... you can already get a whole bunch of session work and need never play in a band again!

It's something I haven't gone through yet, but I imagine, like so much of life, it's got a lot to do with attitude. let GAS get the better of you in a way you can afford... and get back on that horse a better player :bassist:

EDIT: I see you are quite experienced... so feel free to ignore my noobish contribution. I still feel the 'bouncing back' approach has it's advantages. Grieve if you must, but do not stay in that state for long.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Often times it's the best possible outcome. If, for example, it was a deeply dysfunctional band that was incapable of any lasting success, it's usually best to put it out of its misery - sooner rather than later. :atoz:

MM

7. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Hey guys, thanks a bunch! I can always count on my fellow tber's for support (or trollish flaming, whatever your bag is ;) )

I guess I was just surprised because it ended so suddenly.

Essentially our guitar player was trying to book some bands for a gig, one pulled out at the last minute due to some communication problems (his and theirs). Being that he's one of those people with bad impulse control he posted a fairly... pointed message on FB (he later took it down) but not before our singer and members of said band (way more established than us) saw it.

Not long after the singer gave his notice and the above-mentioned guitar player expressed no interest in continuing on. We've only been together for a while and while it got off to a rough start (personality wise, not musically), I really thought things had smoothed out nicely.

I called the drummer and he said he's definitely up to continuing in some fashion which is awesome because he's a great drummer and guy. I don't know if the singer is done making music or just done making music with our guitarist but I'd be totally open to collaborating in the future as he's also a wicked dude with a lot of talent. The guitarist seems to do a lot better in bands where he's the BL (not 1 of 4 equals like we ran it) so I'd imagine he'll probably start his old band up again.

Sadly, he (the guitarist) posted later saying he never really felt like it was a 'band' but just 'four dudes who liked to play metal' which I disagree with. We always sort of felt like it was me, the singer, the drummer, and then him, so maybe he just wasn't the right personality fit. I had just wanted to replace our singer and keep going but he, again, expressed no interest in such which leads me to speculate he was already looking for a way out.

I just ordered my first fretless this week so I'll be plenty busy :D. That said, I'm going to start exploring more music theory and see where it takes me.

I guess I'm just a little surprised. 48 hours ago we had a headlining spot on a Saturday night with t-shirts fresh off the presses and now it's just over. Anyone want a cheap t-shirt for a band that doesn't exist? :p

Thanks for listening guys, you're the best!

8. bass players have to work seemlessly...just slip along to your next opportunity and keep moving....

9. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    I was in the same position just 6 months ago. Also have press fresh shirts and CDs and picks that will never be used/sold. Sucks but more opportunities will arise, learn more stuff! it's always fun. Or start a one man band project. I did, it's fun :)

10. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Been at this life business a long time, and I've found it's almost always the case that when a door slams shut, it's a sign that another one's about to open -- typically to something a lot better than what you had.

11. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    It has been this way for me too. Keep the faith and keep the forward momentum. Stay open for new opportunities and they will come.

12. im down for rocking a non-existing metal band's shirt.:bassist:

13. Find another guitarist or two keep your percussionist and lead singer start another project.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I wonder if there was anyway either of you could have seen the end was near.

Usually when I audition and have researched the band ( I don't get involved with start ups, 90% never see their first gig.) I know if it's a band that is working and has what it takes to thrive on

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I just had my singer quit my band... because my wife and the guitarist's wife (I call them the Yokos) were "bugging him". The singer made a ton of mistakes over the last few gigs and wasn't obviously practicing, so he blamed it on the wives for being mean to him..... too funny. Good dude, with a great voice, but for $100-200 each per gig, I really don't need drama.

In any case, as i just had 200 very high quality posters printed, I made it clear we (guitarist and drummer are staying) are keeping the name and all the booked gigs.

Singers are everywhere, but unfortunately most of them are wingnuts IME.

Take yout time, go on Bandmix, CL and Kijiji. also, maybe put up a flyer at your local L&M and tell the staff you are looking for a singer and/or guitarist.

16. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Dude, don't sweat it, my band just blew up as well, and I already have people pulling me in 4 different directions for new projects. Your a bassist, you'll find a new gig.

17. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    It sucks - but IME it always was for the better, in the end. Keep playin'

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Especially metal gigs.

However I still don't have s handle on how these metal bands survive if the mission is to gig.

Seems like when I ask young guys in metal bands when and where they are giging it seems like the term gig is foreign to them.

They talk a lot about their recording CDs.

19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Still with the silly generalization, I see.

20. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Agreed, it's a sweeping generalization, I'm not sure I would call it silly.