Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wenge neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Soon i have the money to get myself a new neck from Warmoth for my MIM P and i really want to experiment with woods and i read about the woods they have on their website and i really liked what they said about the wood Wenge, and it looks cool also. Has anyone built a wenge neck with perhaps a ebony fingerboard that's also fretless? ;)

Sound, feel, looks?

Wenge didn't need to be finished but does ebony need to be it?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwick fretless basses often have a wenge neck and ebony fingerboard. Not sure about the finishing stuff though.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Never completely built one (though I started building a wenge/bubinga neck that never got finished), but I have a wenge/bubinga neck with an Ebony fingerboard on my Jerzy Drozd Mastery VI. The wenge is oil finished and the ebony is bare.

It's a fretted bass, but it's really growly in the low-mids and has a nice snap to give each note some good definition. It's probably my favorite combination! :hyper:

4. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I have a pedulla bass with an unfinished ebony fretless board. It does not need to be finished, ebony is really an extremely hard wood, but a little brittle.
    As to your neck wood, I would be a little concerned about the weight of some of the exotic woods. It really depends if weight is an issue or not. Wenge maybe lighter or heavier than maple. The Warmoth site should tell you.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    True 'dat! My wenge neck is definitely heavier than the body of my bass...I've learned to control it, but it took me a while to get used to it.

6. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    i have a wenge neck with a wenge fingerboard.
    it really gives your bass that low, almost "growl" sound, but it is heavy.

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    What body wood and pups do you have with it?

8. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    it's a maple body
    and the pickups are early 90's seymour duncan pickups. one is a P-style pickup, and the other is a single-coil style.

9. wenge doesn't have to be finished, btw. It is suggested that it should be played "in the raw", and that's how I do.

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Wenge is heavier than maple, but not nearly as heavy as ebony.

True fact: A maple neck with an ebony fingerboard weighs more than a wenge neck with a wenge fingerboard. (At least among our necks.)

11. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Is that bad in anyway? :eyebrow:

If your from Warmoth, how would you describe the wenge sound in your own words?

12. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    [​IMG]
    Well, I'm not an authority - I do own a wenge/ebony neck, but it's fretted. Killer slap sound - deep and throaty with brilliant highs. Here's my bass (it's the one without the trem. :) ):

13. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Looking good! Is that a Dinky or a regular jazz body? :cool:

14. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    They're both dinky's. Mine is the prototype for the top rout/pickguard option, which isn't on our site yet. I think Nino's got the first production Dinky J pickguard, although he may have made the one he's got himself.

15. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    When will it be possible do order one with a pickguard? Is it something wrong with my eyes or don't you have strap holders/locks? :)

16. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    You can order one now, to the best of my knowledge. It's not on the site yet, but just ask. All the programming/tooling is done for this.
    I don't own a strap - I'm strictly a sit-down guy, and a minimalist. I don't have volume or tone controls either - the knobs are just for show! :bassist: