1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wenge necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkdrawer4, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Are there any basses out there with wenge necks and maple fretboards????

2. I've seen a few MTD's with that combo.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Only ones ive seen have been MTD USA models.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There have been at least 2 Benaventes with that combo, IIRC, and I'm pretty sure a few Roscoes have come out like that, too.

5. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Here are a couple of pics of my old Roscoe that I had built with a maple board and wenge/yellowheart/maple/yellowheart/wenge neck.

IMG_0561-1.
    133_3367.

6. DSC_1724.

DSC_1740.

My Sei bass.

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've seen a few Elricks with wenge necks and maple boards, too.

Mike

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's one at Bass Central right now. Elrick uses all-wenge necks (not mixed with other woods) like MTDs have.

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have been scoping out a wenge neck from Warmoth. I love the maple fretboard idea as well, but wenge really mates well with Ebony. Being that I am extremely partial to maple fretboards, it is the main reason I have not bought one yet.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I just tried to order a Warmoth neck like that and they wouldn't do it, so I settled for all wenge (still great but I like the look of maple)

11. ...nice socks.

:smug:

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    how the hell did you even notice them? the flame fingerboard locked my attention

13. :oops: One day I will learn how to crop a photo:D

DSC_1738.

There you go a better shot of the flame fretboard

14. Note my place of employment (right under my name), and you might see why I recognize the beauty of the instrument and the woods that make it, but also am not treated to a case of "crow syndrome" (i.e. distracted by shiny pretty things to the exclusion of all else! ;) ).

Matt, those are indeed beautiful basses, Martin is an artist.

:)

...and the socks are OK too...

:D

15. Funkdrawer4

These are some beautiful and spendy basses!(relative only to my income)I too tried to go the warmoth way and they said they cant because it will warp.I thought huh? I know I've seen this before,Thanks and keep the photo,s coming!

16. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Wenge warp? Does not compute....

Wenge is a super heavy wood and that's the first time I've ever heard anything of it warping..

17. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    That Sei bass has the most beautiful headstock ever!! :eek:

18. Funkdrawer4

Yeah go figure,this is what I was told from Warmoth,"wenge neck with maple boards will warp".For that matter they will only put maple boards on maple necks.

19. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I think what they mean is that wenge and maple will expand and contract (due to temperature and humidity) at different rates. When one side of a neck expands more than the other, the neck is more likely to warp. The same can be true for any two different woods, if they expand and contract differently. For this reason, a neck with matching fretboard is less likely to warp.