1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whammy bar

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by danman1213, Sep 29, 2008.

1. danman1213

danman1213

Sep 11, 2008
    i wanna get a whammy bar installed on my fender jazz bass but i dont know if it is a a good idea and is it possible to put it on a jazz bass.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its very possible to put one on a jazz, but try one out first if possible. :)

3. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    the idea always seemed appealing to me but i wonder just how much of a response you could get with it- this goes without saying, but bass strings have a huge amount of pull on them, and i dont know how much of a whammy effect you could get without putting great strain on your neck. anyone have experience with tremolo arms on basses?

4. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Not as much range as a guitar, but you can get pretty close with low tension strings like Thomastics. Your neck will be fine, or else I'd be worried about every guitar with one too.

5. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    Ask Mr. Claypool.

6. I have a Kahler Hybrid trem my a Jaguar bass, very similar to a Jazz. Its a great amount of fun and gets some great looks.

I'd advise you try to play one first, I didn't. But, I love it to death.

Bottom line, its doable, possible, fun, and BADASS!

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Yes!:D:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

8. could i see one of these in action (youtube?)

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007

10. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    yea but he doesnt obey the laws of bass-ics:) the dude slaps and pops on a fretless board. i thought that was a major no-no:ninja:

11. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    not to derail this thread but how much would it cost to turn my J-bass Fiver into whammy-able?

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    2-300 for the bridge, and another 1-200, for the work. Thats US, btw.

I got mine for under 150, in euros, and installed it myself, its pretty easy, if your handy with wood/router.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Wammiworld has the 5 string trems for $239.

14. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    dang i just looked at my bass and realized the location of the bridge. It's about a half inch from the edge of the body at the closest point, what's the size of the bridge in comparison with the size of fender stock bridges? (08)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got a Kahler on one of my basses, and on the lower strings, you can get close to an octave down, and on the higher strings, about a 5th. You can also raise it to about a minor 3rd. It has put zero strain on the neck. The strings will give long before the neck.

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    What bass do you have, an 08 Fender, I have on on a Fender body, fits perfectly, but every bass is different, I could make a educated guess with a pic. But you'd be best aking someone who knows more, or over at http://basstremfanatic.forumarena.com/
    I'm a member there too. Eric, who run's it know's a lot more about them.

A Hipshot is closer in size, would be a closer looking fit, but a much bigger rout.

Bingo! Really, people break strings through regular playing, and slapping, or even pick playing, not a chance the strings will hold under enough pressure to damage a neck, just not possible.

17. so, since a hipshot is fully floating, that means you could push the trem bar forward to go lower, or pull it back to go higher?

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    You can do that on any bass trem, IIRC, I know I do it on my Kahlers.