Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whammy Order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I got the Whammy, and i'm wondering where to put it. Someone told me to put it in the very begginning, but I thought it was considered a mod pedal, so wouldn't it belong at the end?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I thought it was you who said it was but a toy?

Just play around with it. I would put it in my modulation line though.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    How... neccessary?

4. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I find it tracks better if I put it before my gain pedals...the cleaner the signal is, the better the pedal works.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well I was going to buy one until you dismissed it. I guess I'll buy one after all. Or maybe after you give us the review.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Can I get a quote where I dismissed it?

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Whoops, my bad. It was someone who replied in a thread that you started who said it was a toy.

Anyhoo, am really interested in one but none of the stores have them.

If you can just let me know how she behaves. And how the amp behaves when you divebomb.

8. I read years ago in Guitar Player that octave pedals and harmonizers work best at the beginning of a chain. So mine is the first thing I plug into. But move it around and see what works for you.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Divebomb = stupid. At least right now it seems pretty dumb.

Yeah i'm keeping mine in the beginning. I've tried it with all my other pedals and it sounds fine.

10. Ive got an older xp100 whammy/wah and and it definitely tracks better infront of everything else. But I 90% of the time, Only use it for the oct. up position to do the octave slides. I also only use it with distortion, And sometimes delay. Id like to get another one or scratch up the cash for and lurk ebay for another bass whammy, So I can use both, One in oct up and the other in oct down, so I can "slide" all the way down from oct up without a real noticeable change. (to get what im saying, for those of you who have the new Mars Volta cd, On Juans bass solo in Cassandra Gemini, At the end of it, thats what i think he does, He does have two whammys and thats the only reason i can think he would have those for)

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    After messing with the Divebomb on my guitar, i've found that it's more useful. Play something up high on your guitar, and move the pedal.

EDIT: The divebomb is 3 octaves down.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How does your speaker react to divebomb from say, A on the E string?

Also, is the intensity or range of the divebomb effect fixed? Or does it change if you work the pedal?

Thanks.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :hyper:

I'll need an 18" cab hehehe

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have found mine like to be placed at the beginning of the effects chain also.

15. i like to put mine before a reverb or delay, but i guess you should really just experiment where you like it

16. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yes it should got at the front as it a tracking unit, ie - it must recognise the notes you play. as you might imagine, the cleaner the sound you can give to units like that, the better they are able to recognise.

another reason it should be at the front, is so that you could add distortion to the whammy sound, rather than feeding a distorted sound into the whammy.

have fun!

17. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    im guessing it has a nominal input signal were it act better, it might be acording to WHAT you play (whic freqs or fundamental freq).

never tryed one though!

do you got the standard (red) one that is the one that you can actually buy new in music stores?

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep. The Whammy IV.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright I made a discovery.

Do you like the song "Disposition" by Tool? Did you know that Jusin Chancellor uses the older, rarer blue Whammy? The blue Whammy has the setting 5th Up/Octave Up, and the red Whammy does not. In Disposition, that's the setting he uses. If you're like me and you have a red Whammy, what you can do to make it sound like what he's doing is put it on the 5th Up/7th Up setting, and then work with that. If you want an exact tab, let me know and i'll do it for you.

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I only managed to spend an hour with the Whammy. So far I've only been using it as a "tremolo" (to borrow stoopid guitarist terminology). I messed around with the harmoniser a little bit. I thought it was terrible when mixed with distortion. But I can see a couple of applications for it albeit clean.