Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what a day!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freeloader, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Freeloader

Freeloader

Dec 30, 2004
    hey guys,
    yesterday was totally amazing for me.
    jonas hellborg brought down drummer gary husband and guitarist steve topping to a local club and they put up one of the most awesome performances i have ever witnessed. being part of my city's tiny music fraternity, i was able to go down with my buddy, who was providing his drum set for the gig and hang around there for several hours.
    gary husband is so incredibly humble. i was truly amazed to see how friendly and down-to-earth he is. as a drummer, i've been in awe of his playing for several years and have also looked up to him as one of my many influences. it was so great to be able to speak to him.... he talked about his tour with matt garrison on bass, and also the mondesir bros. trio he has and he also mentioned that mclaughlin will soon be touring with him and the mondesir brothers.... imagine how cool that will be! only, he plays keyboards in that band. anyway, jonas hellborg walked in to soundcheck, and everyone immediately noticed him. there's just something about him, his attitude. he was using a super-cool looking status graphite bass.... however, it wasn't the same one they have on their website... this certainly wasn't a hollow body bass, and it had two pickups, one right at the bridge and another near the neck.... cool looking thing. steve topping was using a brian moore guitar that had a lot of knobs and i'm guessing its an active guitar. unlike gary husband, its not easy to go up and talk to hellborg. he'll usually give you a very confusing answer and most of the time he doesn't seem like he's too keen to make conversation. he was SMOKING yesterday though. he played some INSANE stuff that left my jaws on the floor. gary husband though was the center of attraction, playing with such intensity. he really plays with power, and thats the way i like to see a drummer play. steve topping was very restrained, i guess thats just his style, but i've never heard him before, so i must hear more of him soon.
    actually, today they'll be playing at another club, and i'll be latching on to my buddy again and will try to talk to hellborg.
    my friend also took a picture of the bass when he left it on a chair and went for a stroll. i'll try and post a pic of it soon.
    will let you know about tonight's gig.
    and incase you were wondering what kind of music they were playing, it was similar to what hellborg had done with shawn lane, very loose arrangements, most of it improvised. there were some structures though and i noticed jonas was following some sheets of paper for chords and things. gary told me that they had only rehearsed vaguely in their hotel room and that yesterday's gig was the first they'd ever done together. he looked like he had a blast playing with hellborg.

2. Freeloader

Freeloader

Dec 30, 2004
    ok, yesterday WAS EVEN BETTER!!!! i reached the venue at around 2 o clock to help out with the soundcheck. the tour was organised by a website called abstractlogix.com. the owner of the website, souvik dutta, is originally from calcutta, and I know him, so we were helping him out, setting up the kit and helping with sound arrangements and things. anyway, i hung out with those guys all day. jonas is a funny guy. i had a funny discussion with him about dave fiuczynski..... jonas kinda dislikes his playing, and i argued a bit with him about that. he also didn't get an amp for the gig and played direct to the mixer.... so for a brief period, we were also joking about the sad state of our indian amplifiers.... believe me, they suck, and he agrees.
    i also helped gary set up the kit and steve topping's tone was incredible. anyway, later on, after the soundcheck was done, i got to go to a big auditorium for a SHAKTI gig.... yes.... and i went with gary husband and steve topping in one car, while souvik and jonas went in another. i actually went back stage at a mclaughlin concert with jonas hellborg and gary husband!!!! and we were hanging around there for a bit and then went out and sat in the audience. later the guys went and hung out with mclaughlin for a bit. then it was getting late, so we went back to the pub where they did ONE HELL OF A GIG. lots of crazy stuff. jonas' technique is unbelievable. souvik explained that jonas' bass has a pre-amp that is powered by four 9v batteries. i didn't believe him, turned the bass around, and sure enough, there were 4 battery compartments at the back. i never knew they made pre-amps that needed that much power.
    anyway, thats about all there is to these last two days, which have been totally awesome for me. thought i'd share them with you bass player dudes on this forum.
    bye!

PS: i'll get that picture my friend took of jonas' bass and post it here soon.

3. Freeloader

Freeloader

Dec 30, 2004
    as promised, here's a pic of the bass jonas was playing.

Attached Files:

4. it sounds like your last few days were pretty exciting!

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very Cool
    Are they touring?

6. Freeloader

Freeloader

Dec 30, 2004
    well, i think they did a gig in new delhi on the 29th and then they get back to their own gigs wherever they live. they might start touring again after some time....

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's real cool. I'm a bit envious.

And Status does make 36V-pres. The JH-sig has a 36V pre, too

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds like quite a great time! I'd love to hang with John McLaughlin...that's so awesome, dude.