1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What a witch hunt

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bigfatbass, May 5, 2006.

1. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I don't mind if a mod deletes this, but since the original thread was locked I wanted to post this somewhere.

The way some TBers crucified the guy trying to add $1000 "handling" to his admittedly sketchy parts bass auction was shameful. A mob-rule moment that this place should be above.

Possibility 1). He IS actually an idiot

Possibility 2). He risked having his account banned with 100+ universally positive feedbacks, and his name raped across every bass BBS on line in order to save $12.50

Possibility 3). He is deliberately scamming in order to get someone to commit to paying $1000 more than they thought for the instrument.

Who of you wouldn't take a single bad feedback for welching on an auction that tried to do that? With the new policies ebay would probably wipe your negative anyway if he really was trying this scam.

Now I'm not saying I know for sure this guy is/was any of the above or something even worse, just that if someone had approached the numbnut firmly, but politely, pointing out he was in violation of ebay policy and he should re-list, then there wouldn't be 6 pages of sparring and piling on that had to be locked.
    With the volume of attacks this guy recieved in a matter of minutes, how would YOU have responded in the same situation? I bet you'd come off a little huffy too, dontcha think?
    I'm all for policing ourselves as best we can, and I'll be one of the first to jump on a soapbox when I feel the consumer is being done wrong, but come on. That was a bit excessive.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My 2 cents. He was a douchebag and deserved everything he got, plus more.

3. I agree...adding a thousand dollars after you started the auction is a jerk thing to do...he probably didn't have much faith that his bass was going to sell for much, so he added the thousand dollars...or maybe he decided he didn't want to sell it so had to do something to make it look unattractive...i think he got what he deserved...anyways, its like going to the store to by grocerys and then the cashier adding a hundred bucks the the bill...you'd get upset too

of course there is always the chance that he meant to say add 10.00 to the bill, in which case he should have caught that...

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Uh, there have been worthier causes to champion. For instance, right now in the West Indies illegal hamster wrestling is taking place. Please, won't you help?

5. No doubt. He's a scumbag... If you don't like how a thread progesses don't become a part of it or comment on it. It's pretty simple really. Sorry! The guy not only was scamming any bidders with a ludacris handling fee he was also scamming ebay out of it's money.

Jeff

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

fixed it for you ...

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It's always best practice to respond in kind when someone is being attacked.....sh-yah, right.

Honestly, if I was in that situation, I would have to ask myself what I have done to elicit such an angry response. I would not volley back angry comments and throw fuel on the fire.

-Mike

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Wait a minute, I might have missed somehting that would change my opinion. He posted the $1000 up charge AFTER listing the auction? If that's the case rape him with a stick. My bad. I thought he was just an idiot.

9. yeah, i do believe he added the 1000 dollars handling charge after the auction had already started and people had already bid on it...he probably just didn't like the low prices that people were bidding on his bass...

10. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

As was posted on the other threads about this auction, the $1000 charge is against eBay policy even if he included it at the start of the auction. The reason is that this is an attempt to circumvent eBay fees, which are based on the closing price of the auction. Whether or not he is clueless about this policy and its justifications is immaterial, just as ignorance of the law is not an alibi in a court room. As a participating member of eBay, it was his responsibility to know the rules.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this bass pop up for sale again, as I seriously doubt the validity of the closing bid.

And dude, you need to stop with the rape imagery. You're making me ill.

Matt

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This is a smart thread. You object to the guy getting raked over the coals, so you start another thread so we can do it all over again.

Judging by the feedback of the winning bid, I would say that someone stepped up to officially challenge this guy. I e-mailed the guy, told him I was in San Diego and wanted to see the bass before I bid. He told me that the bass wasn't in San Diego and that he couldn't show it to me. He couldn't tell me who built it. He couldn't tell me whether it was a parts bass or whether it was truly custom made. Scam.

12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

YOU MEAN YOU THINK FRED KELLY ISN'T A REAL BIDDER?:D

13. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
  14. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Hmm... It gets even more interesting. Checked out the feedback on other transactions "Fred Kelly" has been involved in, and it appears he's on a crusade to weed out eBay scammers.

Matt

15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Could be?!?! :)

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    God bless Fred Kelly! :D