1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What about Eminance speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodell, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Woodell

Woodell

Jan 13, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    After 16 months of use, my Fender Bassman 150 tossed its speaker last night on stage as confirmed by the local repair shop. While starting the next song, I noticed that the volume was lower. Then it sounded like static replaced any sens of music. Finished the night running through the PA.

Today, my local shop guy pulled the speaker and bench tested it. He noticed that it was a Chinese-made Eminance and said that the US ones were better. Any experience with this? I'm still getting the replacement one for now. Any suggestions for something more robust or was this just a fluke?

2. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    I have a Kustom Goove Bass cab with 2x15 Emminence speaker and they are monsters on the low end and do not distort at high volumes. They are US made and are good. If you buy the US made speakers you should be okay.

http://www.eminence.com/bass.asp?speaker_size=15

3. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    like most new asian factory products(eminence started in 2007) , they will probably suck before they start to make a mediocre product. sorry for your loss mate. eminence shouldn't not be able to call their chinese speakers normal eminence, but rather a different line like MTD kingston; ESD speakers for instance

4. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    IME: Much of what we purchase today is Chinese made.
    The quality control is as good as the company that backs it such as Fender, Eminence etc. The reason for the lower price is not cheap quality parts or QC but cheaper labor.
    Personally I have had good experience with products made in China. Years ago we went through the same complaints about Japan yet Japan proved to be some of the best made products in the world. ie Guitars, Automobiles, Electronics etc. Now they cost more than US made products.
    Sometime pull a Chinese made Eminence and compare it to a US Eminence, look identical in most cases. Fortunately Eminence has kept the cost reasonable IMHO on it's US made products. I use Eminence speakers exlusively. Love the Texas Heat in my guitar amps of any wattage. The argument goes on and on even with Fender US vs Fender Mexico. Take a look at the Ensenada Fender factory sometime, set up very well and good quality control.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    IME also. There's good and bad products out of Asia and everywhere else; to suggest otherwise is jingoistic racist BS.
    Knowing how high a standard of quality Eminence US holds itself to I'd be shocked to find out that they would be satisfied with anything less from their Chinese factory. Neither would their customers who buy those products. There are over 200 driver manufacturers in the Far East for OEM users to choose from, and I'd be willing to bet most of them offer pricing considerably lower than what Eminence does. The only reason why they'd go with Eminence is for the higher than average standard of quality they know they'll get. No rational company wants to have to deal with warranty returns. As for the OPs situation, Eminence drivers are warranted for seven years, you should be making a claim w/Fender.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Fender only warranties their speakers for 1 year. I wonder if it even is an Eminence?

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...(comments are directed at the red highlighted portion)...oh, & I'm not singling out Eminence, it's not too much different for any company...

I'm sure that's what Eminence wants also & that may very well be what they're getting & will continue to get. Hope so. The possible (& I say possible, I don't have 1st hand knowledge of Chinese speaker manufacturing plants) fly in the ointment, though, is that there are probably few "western" eyes looking at the product. No jingoism involved, simply a fact.

The Chinese manufacturer wants to ship product, bottom line. They want it to be acceptable product, but if it come down to shipping less than acceptable product (or even some abysmally poor units) or not shipping less than acceptable product, they're almost always (if not 100% of the time) going to ship the less than acceptable product. Another unit out of the door is another unit they get paid for. Pure & simple.

The primary QC personnel in the factory work for the factory, not Eminence (unless Eminence actually owns the factory, in which case it's a whole different ballgame, but I doubt Eminence owns it/them). The factory QC are on the production lines as long as they're running, from early in the morning to late in the night or into the wee hours of the next morning. Sometimes even throughout the entire night. The Eminence westerners (if there are any) and/or the Chinese/Taiwanese/Fillipino/whatever Eminence QC/production people are probably only there from 9-10 until 4-5 or thereabouts, M-F. Maybe a 1/2 day Saturday. Almost never there on Sunday. After they're gone it can turn into a "when the cat's away the mice will play" scenario. They must check all areas of the factory, so while they're in one area, another area is not monitored. They may have multiple factories to cover, so there is time spent traveling from one to the others (& travel in China can be s-l-o-w going at times). All this is additional time not watching each individual unit as it is completed & packed.

As I mentioned at the top, I hope the Eminence product is quality from the get-go & remains so throughout. I like Eminence. A lot. I think they are committed to quality product. But producing in China, especially during the first years, can be a true challenge. It's a difference of mindset & it's so real that it can almost be tangible.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    When k2 skis moved their production to China 10 years ago the entire winter sports industry did a collective eye roll. That eye roll went away when k2 went from middle of the pack to #1 in product quality in the first year of Chinese production, jumping ahead of even the Austrians, where skiing is as popular as baseball. football and basketball combined. Yet China at the time was a country that had no wintersports market of its own. Pride in workmanship knows no national borders.

9. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

That's what I'm talkin about!

10. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    My opinion is that it varies with manufacturer, which is no different than here. My friend Mike, sources boat metal parts in China, and he is constantly forcing the vendors to stay within the print. He said they intially had a hard time grasping the scrapping out of tolerence concept. It was "can't they just drill the hole .015" offset?" Then again, my Chinese made Goldstar GF-85 banjo, which is a Saga company, is an outstanding instrument in every way. I guess it just depends.

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Actually it does. Or at least most certainly can. In China, there are still many who recall 36 do, 36 don't do. 36 was the amount of money they made weekly. If you did your job tremendously, you made 36. If you were the most lousy employee, you still made 36.

The vast majority of workers in factories that produce something other than high-tech electronic goods are from inside provinces. Poor, poor places. Education is also generally very poor in almost all parts of China, even more so in the inside provinces. There is no inner driving force for these workers to produce great product. There is the driving force to earn enough money to eat today & send a pittance home to relatives who are even worse off than you are. That's how it works.

And it all depends upon the ownership & dedication of the manufacturing facility. I don't know k2, nor do I know much at all about winter sports equipment. Maybe the factory owner & managers were/are Japanese who operate factories in China. Maybe they're Korean or Taiwanese. Or maybe Chinese. Of these four, the commitment to quality generally runs in that order, with the order sometimes switching between Koreans & Taiwanese. And don't even get me started on Hong Kongese, lol.

12. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    iualum, my friend Mike also felt, that should the transportation infrastructure expand to gain access to the interior, our concept of pricing structure will change as we know it. There is a HUGE work force that is untapped, and is very poor.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Credit where credit is due, the American's have done a fantastic job over the years of instilling a sense of national pride in their locally made products. I wish Australians were half as good at showing such faith for our locally made goods.

But like any faith, there's an ideological gap that needs to be jumped, and it's not always a logical one. Are American made products better than Asian products? Generally yes. Are they better 100% of the time? Not to this non-American.

OK that speaker failed. It must be because it's Asian made right? I'll bet my house that if it so happened to be a US speaker in there, the cause of the failure would have been looked at more objectively.....

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, that's for certain. A huge workforce indeed. It's moving. Slowly but surely. Especially to Szechuan province, the most heavily populated of all. And the food's great! And cheeeeeeeeap! But yes, pricing will definitely change, although how much at retail is anyone's guess :rollno:. But the lower labor prices will threaten factories/employment in the established provinces too. Social unrest is one of the greatest worries, if not the greatest, on the minds of China's leadership.

15. Woodell

Woodell

Jan 13, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    According to the repair shop, its two years on the speaker but five on the electronics. It has "Eminance" written on the label along with "Made in China"

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1

History bears this out. The desire/need to achieve creative/commercial success - and earn the respect of one's colleagues & peers - drives forward-thinking folks everywhere to do their best.

17. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...sure sound nice anyway...

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Facts have their own sound. :p

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry to sound nit-picking here, but do you think we could possibly have this discussion without making sweeping generalisations about the political views or attitudes to work of one and a half billion people? Thanks.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385392

:rollno:

20. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Quoted again, for emphasis. I'll also quote this from Bill:

I've just deleted a couple of posts that weren't too bad in themselves, but I know how threads like this can flare up into serious arguments and wanted to minimise that possibility.

Let's have no jingoism or other nonsense, please folks. Consider this a final warning. Feel free to send me a PM if you need any further clarification, but read the stickied post from Paul first (linked to above).