1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What amp do i get??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bugmeister96, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    So I'm pretty much clueless about amps because I've always just borrowed the school's amp but I literally used it to the point where it is falling apart. Now I've been asked to play for a pit orchestra and the only amp I own is my little starter amp. I play mostly jazz stuff. I have a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass and a Squier Fretless Jazz Bass and I play in Marching Band, Jazz Band, and (most importantly at the moment) Pit Orchestras. I'd appreciate some replies to this as I don't think it is something that you can really research efficiently in the short amount of time I have. Thanks.

2. First question, what is your budget?

The Acoustic B200 and Carvin MB series are probably the best combos for the money.

btw, get ready cause you're about to get swamped with suggestions.

3. budget? Will you be schlepping it a lot? Any other applications like rock bands or ??

Check the stickies in the AMPs section for some suggestions, too.

4. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    Well the budget depends on the amp and the reviews. We aren't exactly hurting for money but I just got a nice bass for Christmas.

I'm probably going to be taking it around but I'm not going to be using it for Marching Band.

I don't have any intention of joining a rock band anytime soon so it's really just Marching Band, Jazz Band, and Pits.

But I can't really have a huge amp. It needs to be as light and small as possible while still possessing good tone and volume.

5. Then I highly suggest the new Epifani UL112 ceramic cab and Epifani Piccollo amp. You won't need another amp for a long time.

6. I'm a GK fanboy so I'd look at their MB combos, good price, great sound, lightweight.

Ampeg makes a very nice lightweight PF350/PF500 amp head that gets a lot of props here, too.

Markbass combos are another recommendation you'll get here.

All these (and more) available at your local GC, take your bass and try them all out and let your ear (and budget) be your guide.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg Micro VR stack. Super light, looks and sounds badass, should be enough for your applications. A PF rig is also very sweet but is a little heavier and bigger.

8. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    are there amps that can produce good quality and sound and be lightweight without being a 2-piece deal or is that just something I'm going to need to submit to?

9. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    Just trying to picture dragging an amp around in marching band. :bassist:

10. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    Oh it's interesting! but I just play in the pit so I'm not actually marching :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You can get super light and loud combos that are one piece but it's not cheap. I figured a kid in marching band in high school was on a budget.

12. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    The Ampeg Micro VR stack is not a combo, and is very nice, as Jimmy says. If you budget allows, I'd seriously consider the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12t. It's amazingly versatile, loud, neutrally voiced, and light.

13. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    Great because I am most definitely getting a combo. I was already looking at Markbass combos and the recommendation kind of pushed it over the edge so that's what I'm looking at right at this very moment. Just doing some research on how loud it really needs to be.

The aforementioned Genz-Benz Shuttle is now also on my list of possibilities.

14. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    It's a pretty righteous rig. Check out Ed Friedland's Review, that ought to feed your GAS.

15. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    Is it able to stand out in a marching band with full percussion and horns and such?

16. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    Hmmmm..... full marching band, on the field, with a bass on the sidelines? Outdoors? I've be nervous that ANY combo could keep up. Even a 4x10 or an 8x10 could have trouble. Talking about no walls, massive numbers of low brass instruments and percussion competing in your frequency range. Add a little wind, some crowd noise, maybe some rain.

A pit orchestra is totally different. Lots of people use the little GK 150MB, with uprights and electrics. The Markbass 112 combo is a natural for that too. Same with the stage band or jazz band. Markbass combo, Shuttle combo will both be awesome.

But outside with a full marching band, that's another story. Let's see if others here at TB have experience with this.

I remember an old Woody Allen movie where he is playing Cello in the marching band, dragging a chair along. Sitting and playing a couple notes, jumping up and moving a few feet, then playing a few more notes. Hilarious!

17. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Jan 25, 2012
    yeah not a full marching band. small like 40 people. we have a combo at school but I've worn it out and it keeps up on volume 4 out of 10

18. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Fretster's right. I'm not sure an SVT 810 would keep up with a marching band (depending on band size/composition), and a single 12 probably won't, either. A 112 has the same speaker area as a 210, so that's what you should compare it with. The GB cabs use longer throw speakers, so you get a bit more volume than with most 210s, but not much. At full tilt, it'll be too loud for a pit orchestra or typical jazz band, but a marching band is too much to ask from any amp - except a full PA system. The Shuttle does have DI, though...

*edit (I was typing when you were replying): a 40 person band, you could probably keep up.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I did my 80 member marching band one time in the 70s with an Acoustic 136 combo, a 100w 115 thing. Worked out fine. And we had snare drums that actually sounded like snare drums and not these pingy hideous sounding snare drums you all have to use today, so it was actually harder to compete back then. Whoever thought of those new marching snare drums needs his head examined!

20. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    having played in my high school jazz/pep band (played mellophone in our 45 member marching band) I would say that the Markbass CMD 102P combo (or the 1x15 combo) would actually be enough for you. It's light, loud, and versatile. As far as being heard on the field, you have to keep in mind that you're not "competing" with the other instruments on the field, you're going for the overall band balance. That, plus the fact that you'll be standing still in the pit with the amp directly facing the audience, playing an instrument with a completely different tonal character than wind instruments, means the electric bass is going to stand out without needing excessive volume.