1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What amp should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by resaix, Jun 2, 2014.

1. resaix

resaix

May 25, 2014
    Ireland
    What amps would you guys recommend for beginners? Should I go for something cheaper or straight for a good, high quality amp ?

Linnin likes this.
  2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Buy a beginners amp.
    The guitar & amp kits are great for a beginner.
    If you buy a quality amp & do not stay with bass
    you are out of a lot of money and the resale value
    will be low.

3. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    ampeg ba108 (not v2) version. buy second hand or ask forums@musiciansfriend.com
    should be able to find one under 75usd shipped hopefuly.
    The dedicated AUX input volume control is killer.

4. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    A beginner on bass or playing music in general?

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    buy used
    buy used
    buy used

CL400Peavey likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hi resaix, and welcome to TalkBass. Indeed the topic has been done to death, but if you are buying new, do take a good close look & listen to the new version 3 Fender Rumbles. They are getting rave reviews here at the Fender Rumble Club. I recommend the D-Class Rumble 40 and up. http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_rumble_40_2014.htm?sid=4bfce4d4c7a00f981a12b222a86eacc8

7. resaix

resaix

May 25, 2014
    Ireland
    Just bass. I've been playing music for a few years <:

also thanks, I'll check out the threads and the Fender

Linnin likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT/810.

:D

This is actually a very good question...I wouldn't spend a lot as a beginner because there's every chance you may not pursue it in the future. Some folks get discouraged if they don't play like Stanley Clarke right away, some folks move onto other instruments, etc. OTOH, you don't want a total POS that makes you hate plugging in. Ampeg's BA series amps are very good for beginners IMHO. Not too expensive, big sound for their sizes, headphone and CD jacks for silent practice. There are others as well, of course, and it's all based on your tastes about what amp is right for you and your budget.

raventepes likes this.
  9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    In that case I would skip the starter pack level amp

10. At first, I just got the bass, a 200$ yamaha.. Ran it through my computer's sound card, no amp. I did that for a couple months to see if I liked bass at all.. It was my first musical instrument other than a flute in grade school.. Then I bought a peavey combo amp (max 110, 20w). It allowed me to play with others and in different places. After a year of playing, I knew I liked it, so I invested is a better amp/cab/bass. It's all about how much you like it and how much you can spend on it without sacrificing the important life stuff like having a roof over your head and feeding the kids (or yourself)...

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You might buy a Fender Rumble 150. You can get one for a little over $200 new now that the new Rumble line is out. I bought ine at Guitar Center for $219 last month.
    With a lot of practice you won't be a beginner for long and an amp like that will really help you get serious. It's big but not too big and it looks and sounds great.
    There's a used one for $209 at GC in Cherry Hill, NJ right now. Your local GC can have it shipped to their store and you can try it out before taking it home.

12. mikeconnell

mikeconnell

Apr 15, 2014
    I would find a good used amp on TalkBass, then you won't need to worry about it losing value when you outgrow it or whatever. My personal fave is the LMII, if you can find one, with a suitable cab. Might not be a beginner amp in the strictest sense but you won't outgrow it for a long time. If you do decide to sell it on they're in such demand that you won't be out on it.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Go to a few local music stores and try out a few amps ... buy the one you like best.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  14. resaix

resaix

May 25, 2014
    Ireland
    When it comes to picking up an instrument and not sticking with it, that's not a problem with me haha
    basically my thought about it is, you bought it, so play it :p I see where you're coming from tho.

Anyone know if any of these basses(like the Fenders you guys talked about) ship internationally? (I'm not in the US :D)

Linnin likes this.
  15. This.

16. When i started out my first amp was a peavey 112 combo(called a basic 60 i think) . It served me well. Probably would have kept it forever but i got bigger gear for my band and it sat unused for a while. I ended up giving it to a neighbor. That was about 15 years ago now and the neighbor i gave it to used it for years and ended up being a better bassist than me. So I'm glad it didn't sit around unused.

Linnin likes this.
  17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, I noted that you are a young lady from Ireland, and included that link to Thomann so you could see the price in both Euros and Pounds. It seems they are sold out. Fender Rumbles are selling faster than Fender can make them. A good problem for Fender to have, but a royal pain for the rest of us that would like to audition some of them at a music store.

Buying a used bass amp is OK if you know what to look for, and what to avoid. Also if you're in a large city with some decent selection of used amps you are better off, but if you're not then there might not be anything worth buying at all. In this case buying new offers many advantages such as getting exactly what you want without compromise; getting a warranty, having a 30 day trial period with return privilages ( at least from most major US e-tailers, and I think Thomann too).

Good luck to you, resaix, in all your endeavours. :D

18. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    How about a visit at:
    XMusic
    • XMusic
    • Unit 1. Robin Hood Road
    • Dublin 22
    • Ireland
    • Red Cow Retail Centre