What are microtubes??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirtychinchilla, Oct 26, 2021.

1. dirtychinchilla

dirtychinchilla Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2007
    London, UK
    Seriously! What are the Darkglass "microtubes"?? I've been looking on the internet trying to find an explanation of what they actually are, and I'm guessing it's just some specific circuitry, but I'd really love to know.

Has anyone seen a proper description of it from Darkglass or is it all smoke and mirrors?!

Ryno1330 and Peter Torning like this.
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Marketing.

All solid state circuitry. Sounds good from what I've heard.

Cartier76, kobass, Lammchop93 and 8 others like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    There are no actual tubes if that’s what you mean. They make solid state amps.
    I always figured it was marketing to get folks thinking that they sound like a tube amp.

4. dirtychinchilla

dirtychinchilla Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2007
    London, UK
    I didn't think they were tubes, but part of me also wanted to believe that they were really really tiny tubes...

I know it is marketing, but I'm a big geek and I've love to read about what exactly they've done. Some of it might go over my head, but I'm buying a Darkglass Microtubes 500 and before I get stuff, I love endless confirmation bias.

Heady, andy67, HolmeBass and 5 others like this.
  5. Tubelets ?

:D

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Capillaries?

7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    They're like microbes, but tubular.

Cartier76, SactoBass, dkelley and 8 others like this.
  8. Kevnn4

Kevnn4

Mar 19, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Has anyone seen a proper description of it from Darkglass or is it all smoke and mirrors?![/QUOTE]

Darkglass... "Smoke" and "mirrors". I see what you did there!;)

SactoBass, dkelley, Jesuguru and 14 others like this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Totally tubular, man! ;)

(referencing ‘60’s surf culture)

10. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I heard they were some kind of version of the thing that made the clock light up in an old fashioned VCR.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Tubes? What tubes?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7c34DezL1-s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ahc likes this.
  12. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    So they get the harmonics and distortion by overdriving cascaded CMOS logic switches. Complimentary MOSFETs. The response of MOSFETs are curved and asymmetrical, similar to vacuum tubes. Stack an N-type and a P-type (Complimentary) in an output-stage-like configuration, and you can see there is a resemblance to a tube power amplifier stage.

13. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    There are microtubes called "nu tubes" used by Vox and others though. Not sure how they relate.

Iristone and Plectrum72 like this.
  14. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Like this. This is a circuit released by Craig Anderton long ago. Not saying this is exactly how darkglass does it, but an example of using a CMOS logic circuit for audio purposes.
    https://www.muzique.com/schem/tubesnd.gif

dkelley, 12bass, HolmeBass and 4 others like this.
  15. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Yep. There's a B3K schematic somewhere on the internet.

16. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    dkelley likes this.
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The Darkglass pedals contain microtubes. Microtubes are tubes made of PVC, inside of which there are copper conductors. Other companies call these things "wires".

18. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Yeah there isn’t any tubes! But sounds good to me! The real game changer is being able to engage either the VMT or B3K circuit and blend it into your clean tone. I don’t use mine as 2 channels usually leave the VMT engaged and blend my clean in to the point of it having a slight amount of grit to the tone but staying articulate

dabis likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    The tiniest tubes you can imagine? Isn't a wire really just a tube that's filled with copper?

M0ses likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021