1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are sweeps comprised of? How do I creat sweeps for six string bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sergius Durante, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    How are sweeps created? How would I make them for 6 string bass from a scale? I want to implement them into my playing, and want to understand them beyond just a pattern, yet no matter where I go I don’t get my answer.

It’s something new I want to learn, and my guitarist would like it if I doubled with him on certain songs (we play metal and punk)

2. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    At the most basic form sweeps are multiple notes (generally arpeggios) played in a single stroke. To get a handle of the technique fret a chord and as you sound the note release the pressure of your fretting hand just after you play the note.
    On guitar it is a little easier but it is definitely doable on bass.
    From low to high fret a triad for example g2 b2 d3 and in a single picking stroke sweep across the strings lifting your fingers slightly on your fretting hand to stop the notes as they are played. Extend this to cover more range as you get better at it. Include hammer ons also to extend the line. Work on ascending and descending, all chord types. And you should be fine.

Sergius Durante likes this.
  3. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand

A video showing it

Nashrakh and gebass6 like this.
  4. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Triads seem be where it starts out as, but do most always focus on three notes, with Variations existing so they follow at least a major/minor ascend/descend?

5. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Depends on the music really, but triads form a solid basis to learn the technique. Seventh and ninth chord arpeggios work fine, augmented triads sit really comfortably on bass. Yngwie a big user of harmonic minor and modes of harmonic minor.
    I recommend start basic and then experiment. You have a guitar player that does it so let them be another source of info for you too.

Sergius Durante likes this.
  6. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Hopefully he can teach, he knows things just from seeing but cannot explain for his life what it is (let a lone restring his guitar on his own)