1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are your thoughts about this college course?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by someguy0105, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Hey everyone, I'm registering for my first year of college next fall (planning on a music major, performance or education) and one thing I have to do is take an "AugSem", a freshman seminar paired with one or two course. I need to register my top four AugSem choices.

The iTerm counts as an AugSem, but if I apply for it, it has to be my first choice.The only other AugSem I'm interested in is the music major one which is described as "A course pairing for music majors, including music, music performance, music education, music business, and music therapy." This include a basic music theory and ear training course. Which are prerequisites for other music course.

Other than being a unique experience, the iTerm will fulfill the requirements for these course.
    -ENG 101/ENG 111, Developmental or Effective Writing)
    -HIS 101, Western Civilization (Liberal Arts Foundation in Humanities)
    -SOC 121, Intro to Human Society (Liberal Arts Foundation in Social Sciences)

I guess what I'm asking is if it seems like something you think I should apply for. I just don't want to paint myself into a corner by not taking the AugSem that corresponds with my planned major.

"The i-Term theme for Fall 2010 is Fate of the Earth 101. It brings together 50 energized students who are unafraid to tackle challenging questions. Along with four professors from three different scholarly fields (English, History, Sociology) and staff from TRIO, Information Technology, and Lindell Library, we will learn and act together to bring positive change to our local communities, and to become more intelligent and thoughtful listeners and thinkers."

http://www.augsburg.edu/integratedterm/

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    What the hell are you talking about?:eyebrow:

3. I've worked in higher ed for 30 years and nothing you wrote made sense to me.

Try again without all the jargon. Remember, without the ability to communicate effectively, your education is useless.

Better yet, go talk with your advisor. What we think doesn't matter.

4. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Um... ok. That's a little weird.

That said, the Fate of the Earth course sounds horrifically boring, at least to me anyway. I certainly wouldn't want to commit myself to a period of extensive study on that, anyhow. Para mi, I'd go for the one in the discipline I'm most interested in studying anyway, with the added bonus of it knocking out a few required courses in your degree program.

5. It sounds like you could use a course in "Developmental or Effective Writing". Maybe you shouldn't be doing anything that would allow you to skip that.

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    the man speaks truth. /thread

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Go for it.

-Mike

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Damn hippies.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Take a course on carrots.

10. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Sounds like you'll already be doing plenty of music education in the major itself. I'd go for the iTerm, sounds like a fun opportunity to get a lot out of the way.

11. "It brings together 50 energized students who are unafraid to tackle challenging questions."

I still don't understand anything about the question, but if hot girls will be involved, I vote for that one.

12. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Could you imagine the fun that could be had if it was you and 49 energized sexy asian college student chicks? :eek:

Uh, I need to go and excuse myself now.

13. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    this

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's not the OP's fault. His verbiage is straight from his college's website.

Here's a reasonable priority list:

First, take care of the standard course sequence for your major. Take substantive courses with real meat on the bones, not fluff courses for non-majors. Make sure you get everything done at the right time so you don't end up on the five year plan if you can avoid it. Fulfilling a requirement isn't enough. You need to figure out soon how you do with the subject matter, and also get a solid foundation so you can be a successful teacher if that becomes your career path.

Second, if you major in performance, carve out enough space in your schedule for practicing and preparation for auditions.

Third, if that iFun course looks like fun, take it. According to the website, it's not graded, so it won't be particularly difficult, and it might be a good chance to make some friends.

15. That's why he needs to talk with his advisor, not us. He'd get more help quoting verbatim from a Physics text.

Absent the hot chicks, of course.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I read this thread yesterday when it was first posted and didn't have a clue what the OP was talking about. I'm glad that I wasn't cognitively deficient and that others don't understand it either.

I perused the website a little bit, and what I could get out of it is that it's some sort of pseudo-graduate seminar type Sudbury Education Model social action research deal-e-o that combines a couple classes allowing students to tackle some sort of problem. It sounds like it would be cool and would allow students to be positive change agents, but honestly, the website needs to spell out exactly what the i-Term is in simple language rather than using a bunch of pretentious adjectives and fluffy language that dances around the point. I don't know who put the i-Term and website together, but if it's professors, they should know better. That type of dancing around the point wouldn't pass muster for a peer-reviewed journal committee, so it shouldn't be used to describe a class or program.

17. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    What's an iTerm?