1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass is Rick Ford playing with Joe Jackson here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmlee, Jan 18, 2018.

1. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I was watching some of the video from Joe Jackson's great "Big World" album and again really enjoying Rick Ford's bass playing—and wonderful tone—in the recordings. I was curious to know what he's playing. It's all very shadowy. Thanks!

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Musicman?

3. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I think it's a Yamaha, also have seen him with a early Fodera on the Big World Japan tour.

4. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Judging from headstock and time of recording, I'd say a Yamaha BB 5000.

5. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Not convinced. Position markers appear to be dots rather than the Yamaha things. Looking at a couple of other videos from that concert, it looks like the bass has two black soapbar pickups. Three controls in a line and top mount jack.

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :roflmao:

the "Yamaha Things Inlays" get a big :thumbsup:

sorry don' t want to derail, Rick Ford kills!!!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

7. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    No derailing. He does kill in that whole concert and it's just delicious listening to the combination of his technique and tone. BTW, he hasn't played bass in many years. He's a big time music editor for the movies now. This from Wikipedia:

"Richard Ford, formerly known as Rick Ford, is a music editor and music producer for feature film soundtracks and scores.[1] He has worked with a number of critically acclaimed film makers, including Ben Affleck, Alexander Payne,[2] Ted Demme and Kathryn Bigelow. He started his musical career as a bass player in his home town of London and later in New York City, working with, amongst others, guitarist Bill Nelson and singer/songwriter Joe Jackson.[3] Ford moved to Los Angeles in the 1990s where he started his music editing career. He is best known for his work on films such as Argo, The Descendants, Sideways, Election, Training Day and American History X."
    And I love those Yamaha thingys. My BB1024X is my current fave bass.

Wisebass likes this.
  8. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    A little better picture. Definitely two jazz-style or narrow soap bars. Logo in white letters along treble/nut aspect of headstock. Dot position markers.

SafariScreenSnapz030.

9. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Yepp. you're right definitely, no BB5k.

10. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    The logo makes me think of Fernandes.

11. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    It has two round string trees if that helps.

12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Did a quick image google and I’m inclined to think it’s Modulus. 5 string, 4+1 headstock, 2 string trees, control layout, soap bars, and body shape are right for that era.

Regardless, great tone.

13. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Did the same. Couldn't find a precise match, but it seems quite likely. And agreed—stunning tone.

SafariScreenSnapz031.

14. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I have always loved the playing on this track - just superb in every way.

15. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The back looks like a wood neck, though, with stringers á la Yamaha.

Screenshot from (It's A) Big World, 4.08, same concert:

2854655rford_neck.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That's not a Modulus. They didn't do a 4+1 headstock at that time for their 5 strings, only 3+2.

17. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    In this pic it looks like it could be a Fernandez? The placement of the logo on the headstock is similar to some Fernandez basses

18. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Aha! That looks exactly like one of Warmoth's early 5 string necks - maple with really thick tapered bubinga strips, they called it the "Real Big 5". I know because I own one! It's the right time period, too - that's around when I bought mine. The dimensions are exactly as if you took a standard P neck and grafted on the 5th string. 2 1/8" the nut, 3 1/8" at the heel, as I recall. Two truss rods. An excellent neck! A -BIG- neck..............

So, maybe built by a small volume shop using Warmoth parts. A very nice bass, I'm sure.

bdgotoh likes this.
  19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

Did they make 5 string bass parts in 1985/1986?

20. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    I wonder why JJ's long time bassist, Graham Maby wasn't in attendance. Other than this album, I don't think I've seen Jackson with any other bass player. Any insights?