What basses are being used for modern blues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Les Izmor, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass

Your band sounds good man!

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    ...but still having an iPhone...

You guys are KILLIN' me today!!! I frequest several different kinds of forums, TalkBass users are by FAR the most clever and funny!

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Aw, shucks, thanks!

4. I play in 2 blues bands and my main bass in those bands is my '08' MIA Fender Jazz V. Sounds great for holding down the low end - powerful.

SwitchGear likes this.
  5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Good description! Made me think of a song from here in Memphis by harmonica great Lyn Jones. He wrote a song called "Germantown Blues". Germantown is a nice, rich section of beautiful homes in the East Memphis area. He's got the blues because there's "...too much chlorine in the pool"; his Porsche is running hot; etc. This version is from a live performance at Memphis's Rum Boogie Cafe. Not the best sound quality, but you get the idea. Pretty funny.

6. slug

slug

Nov 27, 2002
    atlanta
    martin mull (great guitar player) did a similiar tune almost 40 years ago.he even played slide with a baby bottle and a uke.

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Its made by bankers' sons not sharecroppers sons.

SwitchGear likes this.
  8. Roscoe Beck 5'er in my main band.

Single coil P,split coil P,Jazz,violin bass,Stingray( until it got stolen....) Conrad pawnshop special.......

It's all about the blues,not the bass.One of the best blues bassists we have in Houston plays a Rickenbacker!

9. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I have been playing blues for over 45 years but I don't think I have tried the moden blues yet.

It's the color of the bass that is important, not the style.
    Rocky

10. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

For modern style blues.
    Which to me means a 5-string.
    I have a MTD 535. (which is great)
    But, a Sadowsky NY 5, or Norstrand 5-string.
    May work better?

11. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Fender PJ ... just say'n :)

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nah, it's the color of your porkpie hat and vest that really counts.

13. Yepper!

3147892914_8430337125.jpg

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Yep, Blue for the Blues.
    Does that make 3 votes for a Roscoe Beck?

5StringBlues and SwitchGear like this.
  15. ^ I think so.

Roscoe Becks are really great blues basses.All passive with the ability to cop Jazz and P tones with the flick of a couple of switches.

EDIT: Here is mine in action. ( First 5:40 only )

16. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass
    Whoa, nice clip... that beef on your low notes is exactly what I'm talkin' about, and it's especially amazing that any low end came through on a live youtube clip! Thanks for sharing. Is the guitarist/singer Johhny Brown, or Tutu Jones? I really dug his style.

17. ^ Texas Johnny Brown.He played behind Bobby "Blue" Bland and Junior Parker in the 60's,Amos Milburn in the 50's,and was on Ruth Brown's first recordings.We are celebrating his 82nd birthday tonight.

It's an honor to play with him!

SwitchGear likes this.
  18. The Roscoe Beck and Jack casady models are the only models i can think of that are models made for Blues/R&B players.

As said before, a lot of the older guys are still sticking by a precision or a jazz.
    Tommy Shannon plays Foderas and Fenders, i think he used warwicks too? I saw willie weeks with Clapton and he was playing a Pbass. And,that being said, Nathan East plays a 6 string Yamaha!

A jazz with rounds and a P with flats will do it all! :)

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd add the Epiphone Allen Woody sig "Rumblekat" model to that list.

20. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I saw an old dude in a three piece band playing blues on a Ric. I was shocked, it sounded perfectly normal.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021