What basses are being used for modern blues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Les Izmor, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I've seen everything at one point or another, from Conklin 7 strings in the hands of Chris Duarte's bassist John Jordan to 5 string Warwicks in the hands of Jimmy Earl playing with Robben Ford (and of course Roscoe with his own 5 string Fender and his massive custom 6 made by Mike Stevens) to Johnny B. Gayden on an Ibanez 5 to Larry Exum using a Music Man. I think it's the player more than the axe most times....

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I use my Dingwall for this type of thing without fail, even "traditional" blues(neck pup/treble rolled way off) is money. The bands I play with don't seem to mind that there's no pick guard on my bass, they just appreciate a solid and "courteous" tone, namely not too much high-mids and tweeter. Most any bolt-on 5 string with a "Fenderish type mindset" would work well for what you're describing here.

3. Big,huge +1 to this.

A friend let me play his at a blues jam one night,those basses RUMBLE! Lots of fun to play.

4. slug

slug

Nov 27, 2002
    atlanta
    well the vote is in. if you are good it's the player, if you are not it's the bass you do not have. and off course the correct color bass and era specific cloths help. :rolleyes:

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    As a long time member of a band that plays the blues, I find this thread silly. I see everything from vintage Fenders to Alembics, Ken Smiths, and Pedulla's being used in the current crop of blues bands that get around in my region. Use what you want and don't worry about what the next person is using. If you don't like Fender basses, or just want to be different, ain't nobody telling you that you have to use them.

6. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass

Happy Birthday to him! 82 and still rocking, I love it.

7. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass

I wasn't familiar with that bass, thanks for the heads up, it looks like an instrument I'd enjoy (love the pick up right at the end of the fingerboard & the short scale).

I checked it out on the Epiphone site and learned that some of the proceeds from the sale of each Rumblekat go into an education fund started after Allen Woody passed away. Very cool indeed.

SwitchGear likes this.
  8. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass
    I'm very curious about Dingwalls, unfortunately, the nearest dealer is 2 hours away from me. Some day I'll get to hear what one sounds like, and I'm looking forward to it.

9. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Check out some of the live Allman Bros. stuff, or from Hittin' The Note", with Otiel on his Fodera, amazing tone.

10. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Excellent sound. You guys are tight.

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Thank You! The bass rhythm guitar & drums are essentially live to tape, with lead & vocal overdubs.

12. Rebecca

Rebecca

Sep 7, 2009
    The current bassist playing with Davy Knowles plays a 4 string Stingray, and I like his sound a lot - very present and definitely not lost in the mix* They're not 100% blues, but that's the core of what they do.

*ETA: I should say, I'm talking live - he's joined since the last recording, so I have no idea what he might record like.

13. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I'm another one who doesn't understand the OPs premise. I have always been attracted to a trebly sound in basses. IMHO, anything goes. I have always liked to mix it up. Treble for one tune; deep and round for another. Traditionalists are just that. Traditional. There's always room for differences of opinion. And sound.

It's just like the questions that often seem to pop on TB up like "What bass is best for Metal?"

14. I don't think it makes much difference. I see everything from SX and low-end import Peaveys to Fenders to Spectors and Ibanezes to StingRays to Elricks and all points between. Play what you want, it isn't the instrument that'll make or break you as a blues player.

SwitchGear likes this.
  15. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Certainly, the player is the most important part of the equation........

But I find myself getting around on modern blues with a G&L L2000 (with detuner). Especially with nice worn in nickel rounds.

16. Lakland = they got the Beef

SwitchGear likes this.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I played a lot of blues in the 80s with a 1968 4001.

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/4001blues.mp3

18. It's usually going to be Precisions and Jazzes as mentioned earlier, but I don't see why any kind of bass shouldn't be used for any kind of music.

I've used Status basses for over twenty years now on everything from blues, rock, jazz, to musical theatre, etc.

As for the comment about not being able to play a Stingray for blues, that's nonsense. Just leave the treble & mids flat and boost the bass. Instant blues sound :)

It's not blues, but I did really like the sound of the Precision used on Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears' album. Awesome sound. Almost makes me want to own a Precision again!

19. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass
    I guess I did a poor job in my OP, because my question is exactly not like the one you propose.

I fully understand people can be creative in an infinite variety of ways utilizing infinite modes of expression. I recently heard some wonderful music composed strictly using a bicycle and strategically placed microphones (turns out bowing the spokes of a wheel sounds great!).

I am not asking what is the "best" bass for modern blues. I am not drawing the conclusion that a "best" bass exists. Unfortunately, many are misreading my question (or maybe they aren't reading it?). I am simply asking what basses are being used in current blues bands, specifically ones that are getting a DEEP yet toothy low mid tone.

We are in a forum for talking about basses, I'm asking about basses. I'm really baffled by the number of negative comments.

I have been playing bass with love and devotion since 1985. I'm not on some kind of blind search to get something out of my gear that my technique can't produce.

20. Todd Smallie (player for Derek Trucks) uses Modulus, Cort, and Fender (P and J) basses. I absolutely love his tone.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021