1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What basses to collect?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ovialexm, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ovialexm

ovialexm

Jun 5, 2006
    Hi there!
    I was searching over the internet and did not find this topic. Therefore, I am searching what are the best basses to collect for value. Here I am not referring to the sound. What basses do you think is good to collect now and in time you are not losing the money are spent now. I know about American Fender ‘60 and ‘70 Musicman stingray ’70.
    Can you have some more suggestion? As many you write as good it is. ;)
    What about the modern basses?
    Thank you!

2. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Don't collect basses. Collect guitars.

3. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    ritters, I can only imagine how much one'll go for when they're no longer being made

4. ovialexm

ovialexm

Jun 5, 2006
    What is the reason?

5. ovialexm

ovialexm

Jun 5, 2006
    What has ritter so special? the shape?

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Generally basses make crappy investments. Even stuff like the 60's Fenders didn't do so well if you factor in cost of living, if i'm not wrong.

Buy used, sell used, and hope not to lose any money each time. That's my advice.

7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Basically this

Even very old basses, pre-CBS Fenders even, do not seem to bring nearly as high a return as their guitar equivalents.

Besides, people collecting basses takes them off the market so the rest of us can't play them!

8. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    Why are ritters so special?

http://www.ritter-instruments.com/

Check them out. If you can outlive the dude who makes them I imagine you'll make a pretty penny

9. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    :meh: Value?

Collect... here's a thought, do it because you love what it is, are happy for what you paid for it, it does what it's supposed to AND you MAY be able to make money from it... not HAVE TO make money from.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, mine might be different to yours but neither is right nor wrong. I appreciate each instrument for what it is, the period it is from :) and whether it "does it" for ME... that's all that matters IMHO.

Fenders, Sadowsky's, Warwicks, Suhr's and EBMM basses should be good investments :bag:

:D

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Hondo basses from the 80s are a good investment for your heated climate controlled vault- we will all be sad that they would be off the market and not in our hands to play, but Hondo is the way to go!
    Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker-all bad investments. Any of these brands you have already stowed away I suggest you sell for 15% of what you paid for them.

11. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Guitars. Buy a '59 Tobacco Burst LP. Those will never lose value. After that, find a '59 Cherry Burst LP. I just saw one go for nearly 6 grand :)eek:) when ordering a bass.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    You do realize that buying a real 58 or 59 Les Paul will cost a bit more than 6K, don't you? 6K might not even get you in the building.

13. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Inactive

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Yep, A 59 Paul will go for around 30K.

I never really understood collecting instruments as an investment. I also think it's funny when people buy a custom made instrument in the belief they'll be able to sell it for a profit. That's almost never the case.

Yes, vintage instruments are the only one's that are a sure fire profit maker. And even then , with basses, you have to get into pretty rare stuff. I have a 79 4001 Rick in perfect condition that was appraised for approximately the price of a new one. And if you go that route, go with guitars. They have more cache.' And there are more models that will bring in a good price.

Now, if you came across a 62' Precision for under 6K...BUY!!!!

When it comes to instruments, my philosophy is to buy what you want to play -- even if it's just for fun. I had some "collectables" that I never used, sold them (for no profit) and I didn't miss them a bit. Meanwhile, I wish I still had my old Ibanez Roadstar. It's worth nothing but it was a great bass.

14. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Unless you're collecting instruments "just to have," there are thousands of better ways to invest your money. Like buy Apple or Intralinks stock.

15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Generally speaking, there are way better investment avenues...real estate, stocks, bonds and such. However, buy what you like, play it and hope to at least get back what you bought it for, if not a bit more. Fenders make the best investments, as far as basses go.

16. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If you just want to collect something and dont care about how they sound or play, try baseball cards.

17. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Upper Deck foils sound best in my kids' bicycle spokes.

18. but what are the best cards for metal?:bag:

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You're off by a factor of 10.

20. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    The ones that inspire you.

Standalone likes this.