1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What brand/model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicopiano, Aug 3, 2012.

1. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a Dingwall, and the image was linked from the Dingwall website, where you can find the models.

3. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
  4. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Do Dingwall models wear bikinis?

5. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Somebody knows how that feel to play on a bass like that! It must take some time to get used to it?

And how about the low B sound?

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    AFAIK the B on most Dingwalls is 37". It's been described as pretty much perfect.

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I played a Dingwall fanned fret 4 at a jam session recently. It is owned by a TB regular. I was a little intimidated at first, having to just pick it up and play it in public without a chance to acclimate, but it was relatively easy and after a few minutes grew to appreciate the ergonomics of it. I think a few hours with it and I would have been a convert.

8. It's possible to get a B to sound good in 34" scale and sometimes shorter scale lengths if you have a good builder like Cliff Bordwell. That being said, it's gotta be tough to beat longer scale length.

There are plenty of Dingwall players here who have adapted, as well as musicians who play other fanned fret basses. I don't currently have a fanned fret bass, but will hopefully be getting a fanned fret 7 string acoustic soon-ish, followed by a fanned fret 7 string archtop.

7stringacoustic-1.

DB7.

9. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I really want to try one... I'm curious about it. Thank you for the informations.

10. It's a Dingwall Afterburner II, i have one and love it, takes very little time to adjust to the fan frets, if you go on the Dingwall forum and ask to try one i'm sure some member/owner in your area would only be more than willing to let you try his/hers, after all i see your in Canada home of the Dingwall, good luck heres a link just leave a message.
    https://www.dingwallguitars.com/community/

11. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I heard it's expensive, like a luthier bass. Around 6000/8000$, is that true?