1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What brand of cables do you use?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by NYCBass, Mar 5, 2008.

1. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    Hi All,

i have not had any kind of recording studio for about 15 years. Now I'm back into it and what a learning curve I'm dealing with.

Anyway, I have been hooking up all of my sound modules to my line mixer with George L's cables. I had a bunch of it around from when I was playing a lot live so I just put a bunch of them together. I am getting a little noise so I just want to see that you guys are using. Also your feeling on George L for this type of application?

2. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I use Mogami gold for all my mic xlr cables and TRS cables

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Canare is good stuff.

Mogami is also good. I use a George L's in part of my live rig and I'm happy with it. I mostly use Monsters though (because of the warranty), but that would matter less in a studio setting, I think.

4. I use George L's and some Mogami with good Switchcraft ends. You might need to experiement to find where your noise is coming from, could be a bad cable, cold solder joint or loose connection or even a grounding loop some where. Digital recording is very sensitive and unforgiving so you will be discovering sounds you never heard 15 years ago.

5. Blue audio XLR cables and Pro Co 1/4" cables.

I will not buy Monster Cables due to ethical reasons.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What kind of "noise"? Hum, buzz, hiss, crackle?
    It might be a little early at this point to blame the cables.

7. Yep, my whole studio is wired with it. Well shielded, flexible and resilient, easy to work with, relatively cheap and come in nice colors.

I paired all my cable with Neutrik connectors, but I recently got a bad batch, so, now I'm not sure about those.

8. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    It's a little hum like buzz so to speak. Very low in the background but there if I have a stop in the music.

9. I have built my own cables for virtually every purpose in my live rig and recording setup. I pretty much stick with Canare GS-6 for unbalanced use, Canare L4E6S (aka starquad) for balanced use, and Neutrik connectors. If you build the cable right you can rule them out as a source of any interference. I built a load of them for players here and on the old DudePit, and then Butch started Bayou and my fingers got a chance to heal up! Butch uses the same approach and mostly the same materials as i do, and I've seen his work up close. He does a very good job of assembly, which is how good materials become a good result.

Occasionally I will buy a HOSA patch cable for something non-critical. I'l throw in my $0.02 that george-L's with the screw-together connectors are about the worst for reliability, and if you do a side-by-side they aren't so hot from an audio perspective either. They are convenient, but that is about the only upside I see. And yes, I've owned a few and used their kits to wire a few pedalboards too. Debugging a pedalboard to find the one wonky George-L connection is like wack-a-mole with the rest of the band staring at your sweating form hunched over your gear waiting for you to win so the gig can start.

Even ProCo materials are not totally awful, but like most major off-the-shelf brands their construction is their downfall. I've taken budget spiral-sheath pro-Co's and replaced the connectors with properly soldered Neutriks and they are still in service, and they sound fine.

10. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    Mogami & Canare