What cab for Ampeg BA 210 v2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hevy T, Nov 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    What cabinets are a good match for this amp?

I have a 300 watt traynor at 8 ohm or is this too powerful for the external option

2. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Doesn't it say external speaker out 8 ohm on the back?

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Yeah, I am wondering about wattage, considering in a head and cab situation you should have more wattage in the head than cab! I assume the same holds true here.

Tell the truth I've been playing since 1980 and have always thought the opposite till I've been corrected recently

4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Bump

5. kiat

kiat

Aug 31, 2010
    Mons, Belgium
    I've been wondering the same thing as I'm in the market for a powerful combo that can take a cab for bigger rooms. No expert, so looked up the manual - http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/manuals/BA_OM.pdf

The schematics show the internal 2 x 10" speakers are rated 16Ω each, in parallel, so that's 8Ω. Adding another 8Ω in parallel (nothing lower that that, eg 4Ω or 2Ω, is rated safe), would bring the total resistance to 4Ω which would be able to take the full 450W (I guess minus power taken by the tweeter).

When I've got the readies, I'll be get an 8Ω cab for it - anyone who's done it, mind sharing their experiences?

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

OP, having checked the on-line manual, you can add an 8Ω extension so you’ll be fine connecting the Traynor cabinet. How the pairing will sound is what you’ll have to tell us! :)

Canada is a big country - where you at? :D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    kiat likes this.
  7. kiat

kiat

Aug 31, 2010
    Mons, Belgium
    I realise you're not asking me, but its a topical coincidence as my bass combo of many years is Canadian - a Traynor Bloc80B with a 15" speaker and now I wonder if I can use it (or add the functionality) as an external 8Ω cab for the BA-210v2 !

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

My scan of the manual leads me to think that you cannot add an extension speaker to your amp. I believe that the internal load is 4Ω and that’s as low as the amp can go. Sorry. Typically if a combo does not have an external socket then that’s all she wrote.

9. It clearly has an 8ohm external cabinet jack on the back....

Guiseppe likes this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Then I suggest you email Yorkville/traynor and ask them for confirmation.

kiat likes this.
  11. kiat

kiat

Aug 31, 2010
    Mons, Belgium
    Does anyone think that connecting the 8Ω output of the BA-210v2 to the Effects Recv (or regular guitar input jack) on the Traynor combo, work without blowing anything up?

12. I have this amp. A while back, I actually emailed Ampeg and asked for recommendations on a cab to add to it. They literally just told me any 8ohm cab would work. With the combo only, it only puts out 280ish watts, IIRC. You need the extension cab for the full 450 watts. I have yet to plug a cab in though. If my Bugera 15 is 8 ohm, I will try that this weekend after I get it back from my buddy's house.

Edit: just read the manual again. I was right. 283watts @8ohm with the factory speakers, 450watts @4ohm with an extension cabinet. So grab any 8ohm 2x10 non powered extension cabinet or a 15 if you don't mind mixing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Silliness. Use your ears and the gray goop between them, and you can use any amp with any cab.

It will be a horrible and tragic mistake. Never use a speaker output to feed an input that expects an instrument input or vice versa.

SH, as for what extension cab, the PF210he comes closest to matching what's in the BA210 v2. However, your Traynor cab should work on a technical level. Whether it works on an ear-pleasing level is something for you to decide, but the Traynor 8 ohm cab will hook up to it fine.

kiat and HaphAsSard like this.
  14. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    I use a PF210he with my BA210 v2 and it sounds great!

Guiseppe and JimmyM like this.
  15. WaynerBass

WaynerBass Inactive Suspended

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    What if I were to replace the Ampeg stock seakers and dropped in 2 - 8ohm Eminence Delta 10’s would the amp push it’s full potential @ 450 watts.. there by eliminating the need for a 2nd cabinet? Since the amplifier would then see the speaker load at 4 ohms.

he eminence delta 10 is 350 watt rms 700 watt program. So the two would be able to hanfle the full 450 watts with power to spare

16. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Additional speakers will sound better and louder then more watts - two ten inch speakers can only push so much air.

WaynerBass likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    And that's why you can't buy cabs based on specs. If you get 200-250w into any 210, you are doing amazingly well, and I couldn't give a crap what the specs say.

WaynerBass and Bass 45 like this.
  18. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    The perfect extension speaker for the BA 210v2 is on sale/rebate - and it comes with a built in backup amp ;)

BA Series Rebates | Ampeg

JimmyM likes this.
  19. Greg T

Greg T

Dec 16, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    I'm considering this option, I've got a BA 210 that I love. How large a venue can you play with this combo + Pf210? I know, noob post, but that's what I am.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You could play pretty much anything short of a doom band with huge stage volume. 500w into a 410 setup is not quiet.