1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cab should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by butchonbass, Feb 18, 2005.

1. butchonbass

butchonbass Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've been using two Ernie Ball Musicman HD-210 cabinets. They sound great, but usually one doesn't cut it, so I have to bring both and at 57 lbs. each it's a bit much. I am thinking of getting a single cabinet. Maybe a 4/10, maybe something else. I have read all the threads here but have questions.
    My amp is an Alembic F-1X pre feeding a Crown XLS 602 amp. It puts out 1200 watts into 8 ohms and 1680 watts into 4 ohms, so I've got the juice for most anything. In the past I have had everything from a 70's Ampeg 810 to an Aguilar 112. I thought the Aggy was great till I got the first HD-210. To my ears, the HD blew it away. The HD is a very full range cabinet. The Aggy sounds like the mids are scooped to me. I sold it and got the second HD. I don't care for the sound of Edens for the same reason, although I do like the 410T but I don't know if they still make those. I play blues, I don't slap, I just want clear, clean, loud, full range sound. Light weight would be a plus. Cost is not neccessarily a factor within reason. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you're into the tens, want a single cab, are concerned about weight, want mids, and want to be at least as loud as the old 410t i would seriously suggest looking at an epifani 310UL.

3. butchonbass

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, the epifani is one that I am interested in.
    Thanks.

4. butchonbass

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Has anyone heard the new Carvin BXR series 2/12?

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

EA NM-410

and it has a removable handle and wheels

6. Mersenne

Mersenne

Jul 18, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    They're pretty darn nice -- especially for the cost. Although the frequency response isn't (officially) as good as the 4x10 equivalent, it sounds a bit fuller. The Carvin BXR 4x10 is a lot punchier and seemed a bit louder. Both are really great cabinets though (I own the BRX 410).

These Carvin BRX cabs are fantastic, but they're big and a little awkward to move by yourself. The handles are placed really low, which is great if you're moving it with two people, but it's a pain otherwise. The included castors however, are much better than most other brands.

If you're looking for sound quality versus size, I'd have to agree with the earlier post: look at the Euphonic Audio cabs.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, based upon your criteria, my top choices would be either going with EA - NM-410, or two NL-210's - or Accugroove - Whappo, Jr. and/or Tri 210L. These are my two faves in the "accurate, uncolored, clear, full-range" category. In general, EA cabs are a bit more clear and Accugroove cabs are a bit more full/thick, but either can be made to sound fairly close to the other with EQ. All of the above cabs are very light for their size.

The Epifani T-410UL (or T-310UL) is another great option, but keep in mind that it will not be as tonally balanced as the EA or Accugroove cabs. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Epi's are slightly mid-scooped in comparison to those two - but with full low end and sparkly highs. The Epi sound is very good, and I like it a lot, but it's not as ruler flat as EA or Accugroove.

Hope this helps, Tom.