Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cab should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by butchonbass, Feb 18, 2005.

1. butchonbass

butchonbass Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've been using two Ernie Ball Musicman HD-210 cabinets. They sound great, but usually one doesn't cut it, so I have to bring both and at 57 lbs. each it's a bit much. I am thinking of getting a single cabinet. Maybe a 4/10, maybe something else. I have read all the threads here but have questions.
    My amp is an Alembic F-1X pre feeding a Crown XLS 602 amp. It puts out 1200 watts into 8 ohms and 1680 watts into 4 ohms, so I've got the juice for most anything. In the past I have had everything from a 70's Ampeg 810 to an Aguilar 112. I thought the Aggy was great till I got the first HD-210. To my ears, the HD blew it away. The HD is a very full range cabinet. The Aggy sounds like the mids are scooped to me. I sold it and got the second HD. I don't care for the sound of Edens for the same reason, although I do like the 410T but I don't know if they still make those. I play blues, I don't slap, I just want clear, clean, loud, full range sound. Light weight would be a plus. Cost is not neccessarily a factor within reason. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you're into the tens, want a single cab, are concerned about weight, want mids, and want to be at least as loud as the old 410t i would seriously suggest looking at an epifani 310UL.

3. butchonbass

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, the epifani is one that I am interested in.
    Thanks.

4. butchonbass

Apr 12, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Has anyone heard the new Carvin BXR series 2/12?

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

EA NM-410

and it has a removable handle and wheels

6. Mersenne

Mersenne

Jul 18, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    They're pretty darn nice -- especially for the cost. Although the frequency response isn't (officially) as good as the 4x10 equivalent, it sounds a bit fuller. The Carvin BXR 4x10 is a lot punchier and seemed a bit louder. Both are really great cabinets though (I own the BRX 410).

These Carvin BRX cabs are fantastic, but they're big and a little awkward to move by yourself. The handles are placed really low, which is great if you're moving it with two people, but it's a pain otherwise. The included castors however, are much better than most other brands.

If you're looking for sound quality versus size, I'd have to agree with the earlier post: look at the Euphonic Audio cabs.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, based upon your criteria, my top choices would be either going with EA - NM-410, or two NL-210's - or Accugroove - Whappo, Jr. and/or Tri 210L. These are my two faves in the "accurate, uncolored, clear, full-range" category. In general, EA cabs are a bit more clear and Accugroove cabs are a bit more full/thick, but either can be made to sound fairly close to the other with EQ. All of the above cabs are very light for their size.

The Epifani T-410UL (or T-310UL) is another great option, but keep in mind that it will not be as tonally balanced as the EA or Accugroove cabs. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Epi's are slightly mid-scooped in comparison to those two - but with full low end and sparkly highs. The Epi sound is very good, and I like it a lot, but it's not as ruler flat as EA or Accugroove.

Hope this helps, Tom.