1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do I use to isolate a bass line?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tubakid09, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Tubakid09

Tubakid09

Jan 25, 2008
    Just wondering what programs I could use to isolate a bass line in a song to help learn it easier? Thanks for any info.

2. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Nothing I've ever come across does it well enough to recommend. The problem is that bass sounds fall into the some of the same sound ranges as drums, guitar, vocals, keyboard/piano, etc.

Wish I had better news for ya - and you better believe I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in case anyone has actually found something useful.

3. Download Transcribe, then load up the EQ preset of bass only. Very decent.

4. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Get the multitrack project for it. Mute everything except the kick, the snare and the bass track.

;)

5. Tubakid09

Tubakid09

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks anyways. I hadn't thought of this, but somebody had linked a S&M download that was purely the base line and it sounded fantastic. Obviously, you can hear the rest of the band and the symphony, but they are very faint and the bass track stood out well.

6. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I really gotta disagree.

7. Tubakid09

Tubakid09

Jan 25, 2008
    Yeah, I just tried it. Not that great, and it freezes up my soundcard (and I've got a nice computer...) Got anything else? : /

8. Have you tried using an EQ plugin and using it to isolate the lows? If you just want to enhance the bass you can use a simple graphic EQ (more bands = better). Real isolation isn't going to happen for most recordings.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  10. mcdisease

mcdisease

Feb 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tune your ears for bass. It's hard but super important.

11. Tubakid09

Tubakid09

Jan 25, 2008
    I have, but some songs pretty much cut out the bass line even though its pretty much the coolest and most important part of it.