1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do ya think of this puppy?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Champagne, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

Just back from a vacation and picking up where I left off last year. So, if you haven't followed me at all, I recently got a old german DB last month. I sold my other DB, a really nice romanian flat back then decided to get a second bass for backup. This is that bass.

I was told by the seller that it was chinese in origin, 8 years old, no-tag or ID and I was just curious to some of your thoughts about it.

8360017084_f8e03d15e4.jpg 8358953277_c2a5c9fe8a.jpg

8360017194_1b4d0060c7.jpg 8360017098_40fdb7826b.jpg

8360017166_d277e27d2c.jpg 8360017040_95b8ddfafe.jpg

I have more photos here including some inside shots of the interior construction:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91150765@N03/sets/72157632463400965/

She really is a no-frills kind of lady. Nothing is book matched, no flamed wood anywhere. Do you think that the pencil lines were guide lines for being hand carved? It is all solid. Clunker junker?

Sound wise all I can say is she is interesting sounding. She has this puffy note attack with short sustain most likely from the dated strings on her.

Any opinions?

2. Looks nice...interesting outline. No cracks, that's a good sign. How does it sound?

3. That's a bass all right.

4. It sounds weird to be honest. It has a poofy attack with not a lot of sustain. Bowed it sounds really nice. Right now there are helicore orchestra strings on it. They were heavily corroded. I took the E off and cleaned the heck out of it with some alcohol and a terry cloth and put it back on and night and day difference. More sustain and growl and likable but the others didn't change a bit. Trying to decide what strings to put on. Was thinking about Evah Pirazzi Weich after she is all glued up. (open seam on the back/side).

5. Yeah, right :)

I saw you sold a set of Evah Pirazzi Weich not so long ago. Any particular reason? I'm considering a set for this bass.

6. I'm sorry I sold them. Try the weichs
    For a good hybrid string.

7. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    IMHO the first thing to do is to visit a good luthier in order to have a proper set up. This set up, adapted to your own playing style, will definitely deliver the best of this beauty.
    The EP Weich is strongly recommended as an excellent hybrid string, so please try it. I tried many decent Chinese basses and all of them performed properly with these strings. Bowed the E string is a real floor shaker!
    Mike

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Looks similar to one of the Johannes Kohr basses sold by Howard Core.

BG

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think you are close/right with the Eastman guess. Most of the Kohr's and Chrissy's have the perfling loop under the button, unless they are the top models.

10. Yup, that is exactly what is is. It is a 305. Didn't matter that much, but what the heck, at least I know what factory it came out of. :)

Tulsa_Strings_Basses_Eastman_Gamba_Model_305_top_2.jpg

Link to content: http://www.tulsastringsviolinshop.com/Basses.html

the 305 listing is a little down the page.

11. BHBassman

BHBassman

Jan 5, 2013
    USA
    EPs reg. gauge sound great on my basses. Love the thicker gut-like feel.
    Have EP Weichs on an American Standard. The AS has a thin top-they speak quickly-also a great sound, but prefer the thicker string.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021