Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you do when you lose all your confidence?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lewk, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I'm on a major bass confidence low at the moment. it's likely due to stress. i'm highly strung and this comes out in my playing. i hate this.

Do any of you have any way to get themselves out of a low confidence rut?

2. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I have been there. It happens to me occasionsaly. What I do is head to the woodshed. Sometimes it makes it worse at first, because I realize I cant do things as fluently as I thought. But after sometime I snap out of it.

3. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    how do you mean by head to the woodshed?

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Woodshedding is musician slang for (hardcore)practicing.

"Take your ax to the woodshed and work on your chops"'

:D

something to that extent at least

5. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    ahhh right, cool. *works on a motown track from his jamerson book*

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Put the bass down for a couple of days(or for as long as you can stand to be away from it)and give yourself a break from it. This way once you pick it back up you'll have a clear head and ready to jam again.

Well, works for me anyway. :meh:

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Go to an open jam night. You'll see that you aren't the worst player there, and sometimes playing with different players can break you out of your rut. You can also get ideas from the other players' style.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

8. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    find one of your friends that thinks he's great at bass but sucks, then remind yourself what an asskicker you are. If you are that friend who thinks he's great at bass but sucks, um find an even suckier fried. If worse comes to worse find a guitar player and ask him to play something for you.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Why? What happened? I guess it's like everything else you deal with in life. This bass thing I found is not easy and knew it wouldn't be. If your bummed about your playing and at a wits end get some lessons, or different instructor. Get into different music styles, I got burned out on rock so I am learning jazz and blues now...just overcome it man, it's mind over matter, it's all in your head. You will be Allright!:bassist: The bass will always be there for you.. cheer up!!!

10. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I seem to have a confidence problem in a sense that..well...not that I'm not good enough...but that I feel unprepared to play. I know that's probably different from the meaning of your post but what gets me out of that rut is to affirm myself that I am good enough and that if I make mistakes I can only learn from them (what I call 'good mistakes').

When I'm in a rut I like to take a breather. Personally I like to watch music-related movies that inspire me (check out such films as "Amadeus", "Shine" or "Hilary and Jackie").

Ruts are an indication that something needs to be changed. Usually that you need a challenge or maybe just a break away from the instrument.

Remember, they don't last. Don't let it get you down and destroy your confidence. If your confidence is low because you feel your not good enough at playing a certain song...practice it. Practice it until it becomes a part of you. Feel it within. Don't just play the notes. Play the emotion. And like RicPlaya said, the bass will always be there for you. It will always be your friend. Tell it all about the stress you feel your under! :D

Good luck. :)

11. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Cheers guys :)

(i especially liked the comment about finding a guitar player)

It's a funny situation i'm in. I'm at a music college you see, trouble is everybody sucks there. It's a really bad year group i'm in, and i'm pretty good at it all and need to be pushed forward but i'm being held back. the frustration from this is getting me so down its comign into my playing

I also have auditions for uni courses coming up, and those on top of this rut does not help!

I took the morning off today though and feel a bit better, so heres hoping!

cheers again for all your responses.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Use the Force, Lewk.

13. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Very well said.

14. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Ahaa, very good.

the sad part is, luke skywalker was actually an influence on me being called luke at birth.

15. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    I've been there this summer. Gigging helps, and playing along with songs that are right in the envelope, and very groove... I suggest motown and funk... makes you happy while playing it (and doesn't take too much brainteasing)

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, you mentioned 'confidence'.

I used to have stage fright so badly that I would
    have time distortion, my hands would shake, and I wouldn't necessarily remember to breathe. The only way I beat that was to be so well practised that I could play the song even if I was comatose.

But I think you are talking more about 'hitting the wall' or 'plateau'ing. A state of mind where you are not moving ahead, mentally or musically.

I usually deal with this in a different fashion.
    I listen to something harder, that I have difficulty with, but usually I find a piece or two to the puzzle which inspires me. Also, I change genres of my listening music, maybe a Bach or Beethoven, or a fusion jazz group. Or Duke Ellington. Or the Buena Vista Social Club. Nothing like a little Cuban rhythm to break you out of the doldrums.

Re the class, this is a discussion you need to bring into your relationship with your instructors. They all know that musicians progress at different rates. See what they can do to make it more stimulating for you. You deserve to get the maximum benefit from your experience, regardless of the level of progression of your classmates.

Careful what you ask for, you might get it.!
    Good luck!

Thor

17. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    well i have a motown jamerson book which i cracked into, its damned hard ut you're right, doing something difficult and nailign it makes me feel good. i'm also gonna try some rollign stones stuff later, as their bass player i find incredibly good. "miss you" is an exceptional line :)

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    There ya go Lewker!!!!! If these people your in school hold you back you need to study on your own. Bro there is so much instructional info out there, just playing or watching other bassists is instruction. Way to take the matter into your own hands, I hate moving at everyone elses slow, weak pace myself.

19. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    yeha it sucks, but unfortunately i need to get the certificate to go to the next stage, which should be much more my level. but hell if i can play a jamerson line, i must be an ok bass player!

i'm pretty good at playing other lines, but not great at composing my own. but i guess all that comes with time too. im not doing too badly for 2 years of playing.

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Bill Wyman, the Stones ex bassist is a good bass player to learn from. He is very bassic, not flashy or fancy, with a very solid time and good blues feel.

There are a lot of better bassists out there, but none would have been as good at locking down the
    Stones riffs. He really did make their sound, they don't sound the same with out him, that's for sure, even though they use topnotch guys for their tours. I particularly like 'Get your ya-ya's Out' as a record that is good to play along with and study, of all the Stones releases.

Cool, get the paper, but keep thumpin'!