Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you do when?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Oct 28, 2003.

1. A parent is over obssessive about bass selling/trading and anything.

I am going through quite a large head ache.

For one, I got my butt chewed off for selling my Squier P/J thing(first bass[hated it])

Now I am getting it because I bought a lemon Alvarez six string(shame on me)

And now he wants me to get the squier back, keep my other fretted.

And all I want is a brand new MIA jazz. No lemon possibility, brand new, nothing wrong.

And he is telling me that I shouldn't get a new jazz(or an MIA) and I should look for something used and cheaper.

Grrrrr makes me angry:spit: :mad:

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Take two Aspirin.

You'll be fine in the morning.

3. I don't take aspirin.

I don't take any drugs at all. Except anti biotics when I am really sick.

4. Gettin your butt chewed by your parents is something that they are programed to do. All they need is an excuse;) . If you want the MIA then stick to your guns and get the MIA.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Is it your money? If it is then they really don't have much of a case. I stopped telling my parents when I bought/sold/traded stuff, and they rarely noticed once I stopped bringing it up.

FWIW, I'm 25, and working and living on my own, and I STILL get chewed out now and then for spending money on gear. :rolleyes:

It never stops.

6. Yeah. I pay for all my stuff now.

After the first bass, that was it, they cut me off. But they had loaned me money plenty of times, but I did pay it all back in full. And still am for my current rig.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    In case I forgot...

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Mike

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

Don't feel bad, I'm over 30 and Mom and Dad still tell me how to, and how not to spend money.

9. Kaz, you still owe money and you want to spend more?

I think you need to rethink your mistakes and learn from them.

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Hehe -- same goes for my brothers. :D

11. My mom didn't understand why I wanted a 2nd bass...

*** is a lemon alvarez?

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    A lemon is a term that usually means "piece of crap". It is usually used in the context of cars. "That old car is quite a lemon," etc.

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It can't go without:

[​IMG]

14. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Parents arent so bad , its when you have a wife that things start getting messy. I have a stingray and an Ibanez 5 and Im glad Im happy with them coz it gets complicated when you try and convince the wife that just have to have a Modulus Flea bass...... but music is worth it sometimes. My parents dont even know how much my gear costs.

15. I'm just going to have to pay pay back debts and stick to my guns for my lusting of a MIA J.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Not for me, I have 4 Sadowsky's & one on the way & my wife don't really mind that much any longer. She knew I was a gear nut before I married her & she (thankfully) accepts it!!!

17. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I recommend divorce. In the past year I've bought 6 basses and a truckload of PA equipment, now that I don't have to support a wife and two horses.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My parents complain a lot because they put a lot into my music, every instrument is partly a birthday/Christmas gift, while I usually pay the other half. After a long time of fighting me, constantly saying no, they've learned to respect my judgement, which is more often than not profitable, and they let me do almost entirely as I choose, except they're only giving me $2000 for my car, so I have to work off of that :p

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Is aspirin really considered a drug?

What about those little baby aspirins -- you know, the kind that taste like chalky oranges?

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My mom and dad are dead.