1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think about this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Just wondering what are your opinions on this bass!!! (I'll answer all questions!)

Attached Files:

2. Who makes it? it looks like a peavey, but i've never seen those bridges on them
    I like the wood color and a nice fretboard wood color too...how does it sound?

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

That finger board FTW.

4. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Its a custom made instrument (my design, I built it with a lot of help from a luthier friend), sounds very thumpy/upright with some mwahh (its a fretless). It is also very light. The body is solid canary-wood. The neck is purpleheart and the FB also. Anymore thoughts?

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Reminds me of Claypool's basses.

6. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I'm curious what the bridge saddle(s) are made of. I see it's canted for intonation, but how is it adjusted if the bass doesn't like the strings one chooses?
    Nice looking.

7. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    It is an instrument with a very unique voice and henceforth is not versatile. That said, well you have to use the same gauge of strings always (major drawback!). Bridge is purpleheart with a carved bone unisaddle that compensates for height and intonation. The tailpiece is solid brass.

8. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Has anyone else have some comments or insights on this design?

9. it looks cool, but i think the upper horn is a bit long for my taste...i still think you should post sound clips :)

10. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll try to get some clips.! Upper horn is super long because the lower horn is displaced inwards (there are 28+ positions on the board)

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    looks goooood.

12. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    Diego,
    I love it. Does the long upper horn balance the Bass well? How much does it weigh?

13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    It's great if you came up with a design that has a unique voice. You haven't really said if you are digging the sound. Give us more details about the sound, electronics etc. Post a clip.

The fact that you were curious and brave enough to do this is very cool. Maybe bass design and bass building is your calling....the next Vinny Fodera?

14. Mmmm, purpleheart fretboard....lovely :D

It does look alot like the Carl Thompson basses that Les Claypool uses, minus the scrolled upper horn, which does look like it's compensating for something :eek: But a nice looking specimen, nonetheless.

Quote me a price on a custom 6 string fretless :D hehe

15. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you SO MUCH for your kind compliment and words of encouragement.

I do like the sound of this bass, however, I feel deep inside the need to continue this endeavor and refine my designs, keep on going and doing it better the next time (obsessive-compulsive disorder driven person here).

The sound is unique and some construction methods we used in this bass are also a bit different IMHO.

It is so very encouraging to hear these kind words from fellow TBers!

I am very happy now.

Diego

16. I think it has no preamp and the top wing/horn is a bit too long.

17. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Anything with a bart will keep you happy. That top horn looks way long though.

18. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    OK more details:

Electronics: passive, Bart humbucker and 3-way mini toggle switch (series, parallel and south coil). The PUP position I adopted form Fbass Alain Caron model (the distance from the bridge to the center of the bridge coil). The back (body-neck attachment) is also inspired on FBass.

Sound: Very warm, decent amonnt of mwah, even with flats.

Action: almost no relief (I would like to replace the truss-rod for a double action one someday), but I have to say that purpleheaert is stable as graphite (I have adjusted the rod twice, the last time 4 years ago!!!). The neck is very stiff and does not move seasonally. The neck is one big chunk of purpleheart, craved assymetrically a-la Mike Tobias. NO graphite or steel reinforcement, just a stiff-dry-nice piece of purpleheart. Nut and saddle are made out of unbleached bone that yes, I cut myself from a cow's bone.

In answer to one of the questions above...the longer upper horn was designed to compensate for neck dive. The body is very small and canary wood is lightweight, whereas purpleheart is VERY heavy. The result...I need a slightly bigger body! Yes it has a bit of neck dive while sitting, but if you strap it on you no longer feel it.

Some more add ons: I bulit this back when I was living in South America, so I had to be VERY resourceful. You'd never believe what the inlaid fretlines are...cut-outs from an old credit card!

The bridge I designed myself and got the tailpiece machined at a local shop after my design. It is NOT fixed to the body so you can move it ad libitium to adjust intonation.

What else...the finish is tung oil and....guess..kiwi shoepolish rubbed on top (it works REALLY well, I believe Sheldon Dingwall has also done this).

Once again THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS OF ENCOURAEGEMENT AND COMPLMENTS!, you've certaily made my day, my brethren!

PS. I'm sorry I can't post clips soon, I'm currently working on this!

Diego

19. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm really digging that upper horn. Kind of reminds me of some of Vadim Rubstov's work, except without all the frilly woods he puts on his basses. After your description of your methods, I have to say that I am very impressed. Good luck in the future with your bass building endeavors. :cool:

20. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    You know, I think a wooden pickup cover would really spice up the bass a bit. That black thing next to all that beautiful wood....