1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think about when taking a solo?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Jul 15, 2019.

1. This will end soon

2. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Once I get going I have a Mark Fidrych like internal coaching session going on in my head:
    Ok, here comes the 4, don't miss it.
    You're doing great!
    No one noticed that.
    Ok, they may have noticed that but you'll get them back at the turn around.
    Ooh ohh, do that repeating chromatic riff here.
    Put in that I VI II V turnaround this time around.
    Yeah baby you have their attention.
    Ok, repeat everything you just did from the start, but past the 12th fret and do a cool run to get up there.

In more general terms I try to start basic and then slowly get more complex, work my way up the neck as the solo goes on (and on), and revisit early themes if possible towards the end, and by the very end I'm back to the starting bass line.

HELLonWHEELS likes this.
  3. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Why am I doing this? Let’s get me back to the supporting role.

4. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    "avoid the root of the chord"

5. Hopefully nothing.

6. whatever4

whatever4

Dec 12, 2012
    If you make a mistake, repeat it, so everyone will think it's intentional.

cchorney likes this.
  7. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    Carrots. Yes, really.

Chords And Rhythm, Roots Or Triads, Simple

It needs to fit the song (CAR) and what I've been playing (ROT), and don't try to do too much (S)

Florinda4 likes this.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Wait....what....why did the guitarist suddenly stop....when did we talk about this....is my bass even plugged in....am I rooting from the bridge....am I rooting from the key....WTFs a power chord....pentatonic-never heard of it....

9. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Bacon?

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    It's all about sabor. Aside from being in the right key you just want to add your own flavor to it. It is good to have some sort of vocabulary developed from your own noodling. It depends what you into... it can be all about rhythm and mutes or legato lines or a little memorable mini hook, or flare from some technique you like (tapping, a slap-pop, etc).

11. Ok my 16 or 32 measures have arrived.
    The pianist to my right is brilliant, I hope I measure up.
    The changes are 2,5,3,6,1.
    Quick deconstruct the chords and use those safe notes.
    Use passing tones which are still safe to connect chord tones.
    Almost time to resolve the theme and wrap things up.
    Look to a horn player to pick up the head.
    Phew!!!! I did it. But it could have been better.
    Now sit back and groove. Stare at chart, half read, half play by instinct.
    Can we break now? Might need to pee.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    RustyAxe likes this.
  12. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA

Yeh i often thought of this and how it would turn out..If you know your scales well, just enhance those with a few flashy points, come back on the beat and call it a night. I was never comfortable with solos myself, but do enjoy a relatively short one now and then..Good to just practice one, then try to remember it when you go live..sometimes songs dont always go the way you rehears them..So i'd make sure if your going to solo, practice the heck out of it.Then feel confident when the time comes.

13. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I see what you did there. A reference to "The Ox"

14. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    This happened on Sunday at church. We had the musicians from our main campus leading and they were grooving hard. The WL suddenly started doing band introductions similar to what's sometimes done at the end of a concert.

It started with the individual lead vocalists. Then she did a short solo on keys, then called the guitarists, then drums. Then it happened...she called bass. The bass solo was tastefully done. He shaped it around the chords of the song they last played and added some runs and fills and a little obligatory slap n' pop.

I kept thinking to myself, I would've probably been nodding to her in an emphatic left to right, right to left motion telling her NOT to call me lol.

15. DLVlad

DLVlad

Jan 17, 2009
    In general, I have only one, predetermined bass solo. It is pretty much a song onto itself (could be a recording on an album) runs about five minutes long. Otherwise I can do a spontaneous slap/pop thing for 20 or seconds so I guess.