What do you think??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by romac, Feb 27, 2004.

1. I'm wanting a multi-effects unit that also has drum machines capabillities and a phrase trainer. I've narrowed it down to these 2:

Korg Multi Effects

There's a $70 price differences but it will actually be $50 since for the Zoom one I would purchase a bigger SmartMedia card.

Now due to where I live (Dubai, UAE) I can't get hold of these (the selection of bass equipment is very poor in the Middle East :crying: ) so I would have to order it from activemusician and get a friend to ship it over here. So this is why I need your help as I can't test them out and if I don't like them I can't return them (I suppose I can but it will be a lot of money and a lot of hassle for me and my friend).

If anyone can give me any help on this it would be great.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Is this for band use or home practice use?

Whlie the Korg is a great little practice unit, I wouldn't recommend using it live. It can get noisy and also it's not easy to change patches etc.

The Zoom is more suited to live use, but be careful with it as all those switches are plastic and can break. It happened to me with the 708. It's not so much a stompbox, more a 'tread lightly' box. Apart from that it's a good unit.
  3. Thanks for the info

Currently its for home use but in the future it would be nice to use it in a band situation.

I read it is better and more cost effective in the long run to buy seperate units. I may just save up longer and get some seperate effects pedals, a seperate drumer machine and maybe one of those Tascam CD-Trainers. This also looks quite good.

So I guess I have a few options, be nice if could give me some guidance since it's very hard to decide when you can't actually try them out yourself:

Option #1-budget option

KorgMulti Effects - $210
    Zoom Multi-Effects+128MB Smart Media Card, $180

Option #2-semi-budget:
    Digitech BP-200, $150
    Tascam CD-Trainer, $150

Total = $300

Option #3 - quality

Multi-chorus pedal - $80
    Synth Wah envelope filter - $80
    Tascam CD-Trainer, $150
    Zoom - micro drum machine, $100

Total = $410

With regards to option 3, I chose multi-chorus and envelope filter since these are my favourites after hearing how they sound on the digitech website, at some point though I would get the driver pedal too.

Now sorry if it sounds like I'm some sort of weird freak who can't make up his mind but I think it is always better to get other people's opinions especially when I can't try them out myself.

To help: My situation - been playing bass for 5 months, would say I'm intermediate since I've progressed quite a lot. Looking to get into a band in the near future. Love to play all types of music and I love quality products. I currently have just $150 but when I get my pay check it will be $250 (I get my pay check once a month - i only work saturdays). So money is a problem but I don't mind saving up.

Any suggestions would be great :)
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Since you have a good idea of what you want, I'd recommend going with your option #3.
  5. well it is tempting :)

Though I noticed on the features list of the tascam CD-Trainer that it has 17 program effects. Wah and chorus being 2 of them, so might just get the CD-Trainer and Drum Machine and see what effects a like before purchasing the stand alone pedals.

Anyone know if the effects on the tascam cd trainer are any good?