What do you think?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Jan 1, 2006.

1. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I have a Fender MIM standard Precision that just wasn't doing it for me. First, I changed the bridge to a Gotoh. That helped, but still did not do it. Then I put one of those pickups on. THAT DID IT!

Now, I am very happy with my MIM Precision.

2. if those pickups make it sound anything like the fender 62 reissue p bass, then its well worth it cus that bass sounds real real nice.

and it depends on if you like your knock off enough to mod it, or you just a new bass.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More of a Pickups related thread, moved.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the sonic qualities of the unamplified bass. If it is resonant by itself, this will sound good. If it sounds like a 2x4, these pickups will make it sound like an amplified 2x4.

Who said that about what?
  5. yes, true...but then, there's nothing like the sound of a decent 2x4 :D

seriously, though...you're right...the 62 p-pup is a good transparent sounding pickup...actually very similar in tone to the pickups that come stock in Yamaha's low-end RBX series basses...
  6. is it really that bad of a bass? get a new bass if you can, cheap knock-offs like squiers arent worth modding (SX is a different story) so save up your money fora new bass...but if you cant then if the pickup really can come close to the 62' p sound, go for it. otehr than that split dimarzio's is what i'd get.
  7. I've never played a Squier P, but a Squier Jazz I played once sounded and played better than a MIM in the same shoppe.

As far as the "p" sound...to me, so much depends on the instrument itsself when it comes to a P bass...it is so basic that the tone comes from 3 places primarily 1) fingers, 2) strings, 3) neck... to me, pickups come in further down the line on a P-bass...
  8. you could be right, i've never played a squier jazz, but it probly wasnt an affinity series was it? i have a squier p bass affinity, and these things definately arent worth modding. but i bet the squier standard series has potential