1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you typically get paid per gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Axtman, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I typically get around $50 per gig. Sometimes a free drink included and sometimes 1/2 off a meal.

I've played gigs where I got nothing and paid for my drink and meal thus a negative and I have played gigs where I got $200 plus free drinks and free meal.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Bar/club gigs around $100-150 (about what I was getting 25-30 years ago).

Supadope, bassbully, 6tzguy and 14 others like this.
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    $100 plus or minus a bit.

fakeneckplate'65 and Dabndug like this.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Circa 1995-2002 we got anywhere from $100 to $250 a man per gig.

Last band I was basically a volunteer..... and one wonders why the BL got upset with me for declining a gig that was 3 hours away for $20 a man.

Ggaa, getrhythm and biguglyman like this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I will go on to say that I never gigged for the money end of it..... I make far more doing brake jobs in my driveway than I'll ever make playing out.

However..... I at least expect gas/tolls/time to be taken care of for a show...... to be expected to travel 3 hours either way for peanuts is an insult.

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    $75-$125

I don't gig enough to worry about it. I'm more concerned that we put on a good show to lots of people and everyone's having fun.

JCooper, Razerbasser, Sixgunn and 3 others like this.
  7. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    paid?

I've received anything between a burger and $300.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

*$100-$300 average. Rarely less than $100 though. A few gigs paid much higher.

*per man

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    bbh and Jason Hollar like this.
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    $100 to $300 ... averaging about $100.05 ... :)

JCooper, IamGroot, Dabndug and 2 others like this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    No less than $100.00 per member + tips, + meal and drinks [entire band tab consists of 1 bourbon on the rocks for me].

Groove Doctor and Dabndug like this.
  11. Davebass77

Davebass77 Supporting Member

Been sitting in with a classic rock/country band where the rate is anywhere from $100 to $250. Country rock/blues band is about the same. Food/drink sometimes included, depending on the venue.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I get $100 for our usual four hour gig. We did a couple of three-hour gigs last fall and got a little less so I got $80 at those.

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Average $100 for a 3 to 4 hour dive bar gig.

4StringAxe likes this.
  14. trofud

trofud

Mar 28, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    Between 100 & 150 in bars (2x 60 minutes). A lot more when I do corporative stuff like Xmas parties or company parties: with those events I come home with 6-700 in my pockets, sometimes a bit more, depending on the event, the band, etc.

15. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    originals bar/club gigs are min 100 a dude or it's not happening and corporate/wedding stuff we charge large. we do tiered rated for your needs. we go from 3-15k depending on travel and how many tunes you want us to learn

Razerbasser, jimmykicker and DWBass like this.
  16. soulstew

soulstew Supporting Member

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    $100-150 (edit: per person) for most gigs. Occasionally more, occasionally a bit less.

Bassdirty likes this.
  17. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    In 2019, my 3-piece Americana band played a handful of farmers' market gigs for $0.00. Then I would spend a bunch of money on a nice dinner afterward. That same band played three gigs at a neighborhood brewery for $0.00, plus free beer. We had one paid fall festival gig where the band split $105 3-ways. I'm not complaining. Those gigs are with two of my dearest friends – we get together to play just for the fun of it anyways, so it might as well be in a place where our other friends and family can come out and see us.

I played one private party couple guys from my former cover band. I think I made $100, minus $10 to the soundman. That gig was a blast...outdoors on a riverboat. And I played one backyard BBQ with an originals project. Not only didn't we get paid, I'm pretty sure my wife donated some money to the cancer charity that the party was benefiting.

Obviously, I'm not in it for the money. The best case scenario for me, monetarily speaking, would be to have a cover band that makes $100-$150 per gig a dozen times a year. In that context, $1200-$1500 in the course of a year is pretty inconsequential, especially given the hours spent practicing, rehearsing and hauling gear. Artistically speaking, my goal for 2020 is to get an originals project together that plays out a few times a year and gets paid our share of the door.

jimmykicker and Zbass82 like this.
  18. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I see a lot of answers, but its not clear ... for the band, or per man?

We've been playing breweries lately and getting $100 per 1 hour set (for the band, 4 people). Typical is 2 sets, total $200, or $50 per band member, plus tips. Sometimes its 3 sets, so $300 split 4 ways.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  19. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Bar gigs: $100~$200, they usually give us a $25 or so bar tab
    Theatre gigs: $250~$350

Never going to get rich doing this.

EDIT: That's my cut, not the whole band

Dave Campbell likes this.
  20. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    $100 per member plus an equal cut of the tips. On a few occasions we have played larger shows and made more, those are rare.