1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you use for jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Fretted

53 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. Fretless

33 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. Either

68 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. Neither!

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Fretted or fretless??

2. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    fretted

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Fretless, fretted, or upright--all dependent on the gig. I use my fretless (Brubaker 5 string) for most things in my R&B/Jazz group. It sounds great, and I don't have to change between songs. That said, I'm using it in the pit for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. When I did the same show 5 years ago, I used a fretted (Curbow Petite 5). I always use my upright for my Big Band gig--seems to drive the older ladies crazy! ;-)

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play fretless at the drop of a hat, no matter the style.

5. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I use my upright for everything fretless, and a fretless when there is going to be little room on stage to hold the upright. The ultimate decision on ever using a fretless is "can you play it in tune".

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I choose fretted as that is all I have. Fretless is nice, but not always necessary - at least around here.

7. 50% fretless 50% fretted, as the inspiration of the moment dictates to me! But always five strings anyway. Maybe also my Dean Stylist B1 hollowbody four strings, occasionally, but in general 5 strings.

8. ^^^^^^
    this

I use the upright for jazz assuming enough room. But I have a monthly gig at a restaurant where there's not enough room, so I generally use the fretless Sterling on the left for that gig.

attachment-2ashx.

the fretless '78 P on the right is a great bass too, but I prefer the Sterling for jazz. I use that fretless P for an early rock n roll type sound (Fats Domino, Elvis, early Stones).

9. jimraygilliam

jimraygilliam

Feb 20, 2008
    Right now all I have is an American Standard Jazz, an old 70's P (both 4-string fretted) and my upright. If I am doing a "standards" gig I play upright. If the gig is more swing and dance/funky stuff I use my Jazz. I am toying with the idea of "de-fretting" an SX PJ that I bought to rent to my students, so I would have that option and am really Jonesing for a new 5-string. (Does it ever end??):rollno:

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    EUB about 90% of the time. I'll bring a fretted electric to a rehearsal if I'm too lazy to schlep the EUB.

11. definitely not; sorry! If you stop playing/listening to music, then you "might" even have a bare chance...

:atoz:

12. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    I use mostly upright, fretted electric when I can't bring the upright.

Frets are a big part of the difference between upright and electric, and when playing electric, I like to take advantage of that difference, if that makes sense.

That said, I have a fretless electric that I love to play. It has it's own voice that's distinct from a fretted and an upright, but I'll only use it for when I feel the gig calls for it.

I'm also significantly more proficient on a fretted electric, so that plays a factor in my decision.

13. I am really GAS-ing for one of those NS EUB's. They look very cool and I'm sure they sound great.

Can't justify the cost, though. :scowl:

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I scored my WAV for less than $700 a couple years back. I have a very nice stable of electrics but I usually play a cheap EUB. :atoz:

15. HunterBrodt

HunterBrodt

Aug 24, 2009
    Boise
    If your planning on bring serious about jazz go buy an upright bass right now. The reality is that 99 percent of serious jazz gigs require one. Being a electric bassist in the jazz world is an uphill battle.

16. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    For jazz gigs, I primarily use my upright; sometimes use my Tony Franklin fretless P - trade off during the gig, or, if the stage is tiny, I might use only the fretless.

17. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    What I did to my jazz bass: half fretted half fretless. Still have the attack I need on the 1-12 fret then the expressiveness you can only get on a fretless on the 12-20 frets.

18. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Can you post a pic of this? I've always wanted a bass like that!

19. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Takamine B10

takamine-b10.

20. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    This: