Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what does a DI-box do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KSDbass, Oct 23, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I've been looking at a Sansamp, but I wanna know what it does first. is it like an amp modulator, or emulator or whatever?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  3. basically its a box that allows you to plug the bass directly to a mixer.

(i think i'm right :) )

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Or a P.A.

Much better explanation than mine.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Would you need to use a DI box with an acitve bass? They have high impedance outputs and an onboard preamp....a bit like a DI box

6. Basically it will send an isolated, high impedance, balanced line level to a PA, mixing board, or recording mixer.

Here is an excerpt from a the FAQ section in the amp forum. http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/

7. i believe you do

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    A DI box is still required.

Another benefit of DI boxes is that they are often manufactured to handle phantom power coming from some mixing boards, whereas many heads/preamps cannot accept phantom power.

9. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    A DI does miracles... I originally bought one for my 12string g**tar, it was so amazing... so I plugged in my Tacoma CB105 WOW!!! it came alive and the ability to put it in to the mains cleanly was pure heaven. I then tried it with my p-bass I could not believe my ears. I currently don't go anywhere without my DI, a Baggs Paracoustic. I run into the main board and if available an amp, since it has two outputs. Usually I have the bass in my monitor if I am not using an amp on stage...cool, I don't carry a bunch of heavy amps around.....

10. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    The problem with a D.I is that you get a very dry sound.
    When you record A bass guitar it might be o.k. because you usually don't want to add the room natural reverb but when you record a classic or acoustic guitar (or many other instruments) many times you'll want to add the rooms natural acoustic to the sound of the instrument.

When we talk about stage it's really usIng a DI directly to the mxing borad and to the P.A. is comfortable but many players like a certain AMP sound to color their bass sound , so they prefer to go first to amp and from the AMP out they go the mixer and P.A. (also that way you can control the sopund live and not be only depend on the Soundman.

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    MY hartke b60 has a "line level output" (wich is 1/4") and my drummers mixer has quarter inch inputs and xlr inputs...could I use that as a DI from my amp into the mixer?

12. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    hmm I jam with some people and don't wanna bring my amp down so I just plug into the pa and it sounds pretty good but maybe if i got a di box it'd sound alot bettter might have to get one