Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does a mixer do exactly?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pezoamo, May 4, 2005.

1. pezoamo

pezoamo Guest

Mar 1, 2005
    Ive been pondering this question lately as i have begun recording more and more. Ive been recording through my computer and since it only has one microphone jack, im very limited.

Will a mixer such as the Peavey PV6 solve this problem?

Does it go between the guitar/mic and the amp?

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. Sorry if it has explained before or it is just common knowledge :D

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pretty simple really. A basic mixer allows you to take multiple inputs and run them through the same output. So, let's say you have a 4-track mixer. Well, you can plug in 4 guitars and have them all come out of the same set of speakers, or in your case, into the computer line in via an adaptor.

That's a basic mixer, fairly straightforward.

Usually mixers have some form of rudimentary Equalizer, and they also provide volume control over each input as well as an independent headphone output with volume control.

Also, this thread belongs in recording gear and equipment, and I am moving it now.

3. pezoamo

pezoamo Guest

Mar 1, 2005
    awesome

Thanks man.