Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does a tweeter do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderx55, Aug 19, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    ...yeah nuff said.

2. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    "...a small loudspeaker designed to reproduce high-pitched sounds in a high-fidelity audio system."

Used to capture the high notes of your bass. You can turn it off for warm, upright sounds. Or, you can keep it on to get some clear high end.

3. What's the difference between a tweeter and a horn? I've been on some manufacturer sights and the word seems almost interchangeable.

4. Same thing, just a different word. :smug:

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Isn't a horn different from a regular 'tweeter' speaker? I've never thought of them as interchangeable. But then, except for on PA gear, I turn them off.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    How can I turn my tweeter off?

7. Some amps have a switch on the back, some don't. :meh:

8. Everything I've seen just says horn/tweeter, so I assumed it was the same. :smug:

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Many, but not all, bass cabs with a tweeter have a knob on the back with controls how much signal goes to the tweeter.

Tweeters are an evil invention for people who like to slap their basses and think they need the high end ;)

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A tweeter is a high frequency driver.

A horn is a style of speaker. It looks like, well, like a horn.

So a horn tweeter is a tweeter that looks like a horn.

Visit the Klipsch home audio website to see speakers utilizing large horns.

11. Not all tweeters on bass gear are horns; Hevos for instance uses a 'slot tweeter':
    [​IMG]

Horns are used because they are louder than other tweeters. This high efficiency comes at a price: they can sound harsh.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That slot tweeter is a horn. The slot shaped horn mouth is vertically aligned to control HF dispersion.

The harshness often attributed to tweeters in general and horn loaded tweeters in particular seldom has anything to do with the tweeter. It's usually a product of using a woofer to cover the bass/midbass, along with a tweeter for the high end, but with no midrange driver to cover the frequency range in between. Musical instrument/PA cabs in general, and electric bass cabs in particular, seldom use midranges, and high frequencies often sound harsh as a result. Most bass cabs would actually be better off to use a woofer and midrange and no tweeter, rather than woofer and tweeter and no midrange, but -surprise, surprise- tweeters are a far less expensive option than midranges, so that's what usually ends up being used.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Agreed 100%. Add to that, most 'horns' attached to MI and small PA cabs are generally cheap crap, and poorly implemented wrt matching the dispersion angles between the driver covering the range below the horn and the horn itself at the xover freq, the usually poorly designed xovers themselves, and it's no wonder people don't like them. Done right, they're excellent.

14. I was not aware that a slot tweeter was a horn too. So this was the wrong example. I know Accugroove uses dome tweeters; those certainly are not horns. I have to agree with you on the mid-drivers missing and that being part of why things can sound harsh. That being said i must also say that most domes sound less harsh than most horns. And that slot tweeter (Beyma i think) is certainly a horn that does not sound harsh despite being a horn.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The reason for that is that dome tweeters tend to be 10-15dB lower in sensitivity than horn loaded tweeters. The dome sounds less harsh because it simply isn't as loud. A slot tweeter will usually have a fairly high cut-off frequency, at least 5kHz, so the horn may be only an inch or less long, giving the unit the appearance of a non-horn loaded device.

16. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    It should be noted that there are lots of horns still being designed and produced today. The main benefit to many of the designs is drastically reduced IM distortion due to decreased cone excursion.

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    What does a tweeter do?

Well.... it tweets.