1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What effect was used to get that sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Btbp, May 4, 2019.

1. There are a number of songs where I would like to be able to duplicate the sound, mostly an effect and/or amplification issue, of course also technique comes into play.

One is the intro to Eric Clapton's Bad Love, the particular kind of echo/reverb Pino is using. I haven't been able to duplicate that with my humble Boss RV-3 and suspect it is something much more sophisticated, on the Lexicon level.

I had another one the other day I can't remember ATM.

There has got to be a lot of these other on which other people have questions.

2. Wow, surprised no replies, I envisioned this topic to be popular and I have other either effect or pure bass sound questions I thought to follow the first one with once I got an answer or at least a conversation.

I can't believe I am the only bass player besides Pino who would be interested how to get that reverb-y sound.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any decent reverb will do. Also sounds like a chorus.

Btbp and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. Sounds to me like a bit of echo two or three repeats with reverb but, as far what unit or settings. I don't have a clue.
    Oh, and what JimmyM said chorus.

Btbp likes this.
  6. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yeah. A good, lush reverb with that 80s-90s digital sweep. Hard to hear detail with the keyboard patch playing over it. Maybe even doubling at the tail end. Just guessing.. :)

Btbp and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. Thanks all for coming by and commenting.

So I have tried to get this sound with my humble Boss RB-3 but so far it comes up short.

8. I wanted this thread to be a place where people asked similar questions. I know I have others, some I can think of now, some I can't.

One I can think of now I was listening to at the gym the other day with headphones and while not my own ideal sound, I really like this bass sound.

Not an effect but how a sound is achieved. It's from something that many may not know of, but is pretty cool if one can handle Prog with some geeky sci-fi mixed in. A collection of mostly European Metal and Prog luminaries in a project led by Dutch Arjen Lucassen. The bass on this sounds great in a PBass sounding a little like a Rickenbacker-way.

At the start around 0:45 has a crunchy sound with some after-effect, and later at 8:25 which has that Ray Schulman harpsichord-y sound.

Or this at 4:05

Into the Electric Castle - Wikipedia

I must admit that I don't know how much of certain sounds are due to studio wizardry and equipment vs. a particular bass and effect, and how to duplicate those. A BDDI is a good start but only a part of the solution.

9. Any ideas on the sound of that bass on those Areyon songs? Anything special or is it just the studio production?

And since I mention Ray Schulman, in case you don't know him you might like this: