Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What electronics do you have on your Spector?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Apr 19, 2005.

1. My Euro5 has the Tone Pump with EMG 40DC's. You really have to be polite when playing it 'cause this thing's hot! If I dig in a bit too hard, my amp gets in the red zone real fast (my amp doesn't have an input gain and lowering the bass' two volume controls equally is a pain in the arse). I naively thought that upgrading to 18V would help, but Firkinahsoul advised against it, saying it would increase the already hot-as-hell signal.

I was thinking about switching the 'Pump to an EMG BTS, and while I'm at it, I figured maybe I could switch the pickups for a 40P5 and a 40J. I had a Godin BG5 with that combo and it sounded really sweet. I will let you know if I take the plunge, but meanwhile, let's discuss what's your favorite electronic configuration for your Spector.

2. I have a fretless Rebop 5 w/EMGs & an Aguilar OBP-1. Like your setup, it seems to be quite hot. I also have a Stambaugh 6 string w/Aeros & OBP-3; I like it better for the boost/cut & mids. It's not as hot as the Spector, but the bass knob is POWERFUL.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have a Spector NS2000/5 (Professional series NT) with EMG 40DC and CS (neck and bridge respectively) pickups and an EMG BQC tone circuit.

My defretted NS2000Q5, later known just as a Q5, has EMG 40HZs and an EMG BTS tone circuit.

Both are run at 18v.

EMG RECOMMENDS that their active pickups be run at 18v for improved headroom, etc.

Yep, it's hot. That's what an input gain level is for!

What kind of amp are you using?

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My NS4CRFM is the forerunner of today's Euro-4. It has the EMG BTS 9-volt EQ system. Master volume, pickup blend, bass boost/cut, and treble boost/cut. Compared to some of my other active basses it's output isn't super-hot.

-Art

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Add another 9 volt battery to the circuit, then you'll see some hot!

6. I use a Yorkville XM200 combo which doesn't have an input gain level.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    yep, single volume knob...

...which input are you using? active or passive?

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My USA NS-2J has a pair of EMG J's with OBP-1.

I don't like the Aluminum bridge on it, though. It sounds too...... snappy.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Why don't you try lowering the piuckups a little?

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Nino, I played an NS-2J the same day I bought my NS4CRFM. I really liked the sound of the EMG J's paired with the OBP-1. :cool:

- Art

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks for the tip, Rev. :cool:

I'm very happy with it's tone and output. I'd hate to change anything with it. Besides it's sound, it's balance is wonderful and I really like the feel of it's neck. For having an all maple body and active EMG's it still has warmth and lots of growl.

- Art

12. Active, of course.

13. You mean physically lowering them?

If you're talking about volume, here's your answer:

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Physically lowering them.

The volume knob is the easiest thing but you're not supposed to use your arse mess with the controld on your bass.

I NEVER liked playing basses with V/V controls which is why all my main players have (or were switched to) Volume/Blend.

15. Hmm, maybe I should try that.

:D

Ditto. That's partly why I want to switch the preamp. Is it possible to switch from twin volume to volume/blend on any preamp?

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    You could...I just use a volume pedal. I just find that the volume on full blend for each pickup is less than full volume soloed, not to my liking...