1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What flat/tapewound string for a CIJ P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dusty Elmer, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Dusty Elmer

Dusty Elmer

Feb 11, 2018
    Hey guys, new guy here. I just scored a CIJ ‘57 reissue P-bass and I’m not sure what strings are my best bet. I hear LaBella flats are high tension, but is that also true for their tapewounds? I had Rotosound tapes on my old Danelectro and I liked them on that, but I’m looking for some insight. Tonally I’m looking for something like an upright bass, and I’m into country and folk-rock type stuff. Thanks for any help you all can give me.

2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    GHS Precision Flats. I have them on my ‘51 re-issue CIJ

Dusty Elmer likes this.
  3. That would all depend on the set. La Bella offers anything from the Low Tension Flats to the 1954 Originals (very high tension) with four more sets in between.

If you want to try them, I would recommend the 760FL set (43-60-82-104) as a good starting point.

Dusty Elmer and TC.65 like this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Nah. With the apparent exception of the ones you have experience with, the Rotosound Tru Bass 88 black nylons (which are reportedly stiffish and a bit hard to intonate but reveal to be low tension - as in tension proper, lengthways pull - at the post-installation setup), no tapewound set is high tension, not even the 60/65–115 "standard" sets. Those diameters are due to the nylon wrap, which has negligible mass, but there's just a thin roundwound underneath.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Dusty Elmer likes this.
  5. Dusty Elmer

Dusty Elmer

Feb 11, 2018
    Thanks everyone, you all gave me a starting point and I appreciate it!

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

I have Chromes on my mid 80s MIJ E series P bass. I love them. Higher tension is better for me though.

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    This is why you actually need to put in the time and try a bunch out for yourself. The reason there are countless choices are because not everyone agrees that there is one string type that works for everyone. Put in the work and try out a bunch for yourself and make your own decision.

All you're going to get with a thread like this is everyone saying what they like, and pretty much all those opinions will be different because we all llke different things. And where the bass was made really should have no bearing on what strings you like best.

sikamikanico likes this.
  8. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    IMO, LaBella Deep Talking Flats are the only true answer for a vintage P-Bass, pick the tension you like and bask in the warm deep low end.

Dec1975 and michael_t like this.
  9. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Iowa
    Yeah, start trying, every bass is different, as are everyone's ears :) me, I found labella flats too dull/dark on my P, though I'm sure on another bass they may be just right...then I had TI Jazz, those were sweet, might return to those. Chromes now, somewhere in between, but not sure about them... I think this P just prefers nickels...

Tapes are a separate string dimension. The new Labella white series are worth serious consideration, but they were too specific sounding to keep on my P (I want more traditional sounds from it). Might return to those if I get a third bass, I think they'd just shine on a fretless and/or hollowbody. I did not try the more traditional tapes like rotos though, so I can't compare...

10. TimB 619

TimB 619

May 28, 2010
    Cape Cod, MA
    La Bella 760FX

11. PlanZero

PlanZero

Jan 24, 2018
    Labellas tapes are awesome but low tension. You may have to file the nut for the E though. I have daddario tapes as well and they're a little stiffer with no nut filing on my jag bass. I only discovered tapes a couple years ago but love them so much more than flats. They're brighter sounding IMHO